How to prepare a gig?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How to prepare a gig?

How exactly do you prepare for a gig?

Do you make a certain playlist and write down which effects and so on, you are going to use?

Banned

I really don't "prepare" for a gig per se, as I know what I'm doing and who I am already. If anything I look more at the venue, is it a place that needs big room techno, or more lounge like tech house tunes.

I also double check all my gear and laptop to make sure it's running properly.

Tech Wizard

It sounds like you are an experienced DJ. Though I am not, and maybe it would be a good idea to prepare? And if so, how exactly?

Banned

Well you got the gig for a reason I'm sure, be it they liked your demo cd or heard you playing somewhere else and asked you.

Don't try to do too much, keep it pretty simple and straight forward until you feel comfortable in the setting and then try to incorporate EFXs and tricks.

Sure, you can always make a setlist and try to stick to it, but you can never judge exactly what to play and when, before the show. The set list will have to be quite flexible to adjust to the crowd. Like stated above, make sure all your songs are gridded(if you use it) and that everything is working. Then, double check it.

I go about it a few different ways.

The first way is to create a playlist which i only do for large events. Taking this approach, I try to create a story or underlying theme and i put the routine together using a 3 act structure using long breakdowns as intermissions between acts. Doing it this way, i can go down the list and get some really aggressive mixes in since i will be rehearsing this routine 4-5 hrs a night, 3-5 nights a week, trying as much as is humanly possible; alot of trainwrecking, but necessary for the process. About a week or two before the gig, i'll do a "preview" night with just friends and family and have them give me notes. Its always best to try the routine on many different sound systems as alot of times, when you play out, the system is top heavy and you'll have to mix your highs and mids down a little. Sometimes i'll take the routine on a test drive on a radio show or something but you have to be careful with some of the riskier transitions as trainwrecking on a radio show can shake your confidence alot and make you rethink things.

The songs are also never Final as if the crowd is feeling something else, you should drop something else if you catch my drift. The reason i put the playlist together in the fashion that i do is so i can personally get a sense of the flow i want to create for the party.

As for effects, do what feels right in the moment, but don't over indulge.

Another way is to put together a bunch of songs you know like the back of your hand along with a few new releases and pop those into a playlist. Jump around the playlist during the set and you should be golden.

Banned

A trick I like to do it pick 4 or 5 songs to play though out the night, and leave everything open in between.

I then use other tunes to build up to those tracks. Like if a tune has a big analog bassline, I use tracks that have subtle stabby baselines to tease the crowd, and then when that big bassline comes in the crowd just goes ape shits.

Just one trick or way to do it.

Banned

Sounds like you do more a live performance than actual DJing Damien.

it's a little of both. I'll read the crowd and adjust accordingly, but i like to have the riskier transitions down pact. I'm also pretty big on story telling coming from a theatre background and all

I usually make playlist of music that I play all the time, Indie, Electro New School, Electro Old School, HiNrg, Rock En Espaņol, Hip Hop, Top 40, New Wave 110 - 130 BPM, New Wave 135 - 150 BPM, New Wave 155 - 200 BPM, and so on. Everything is already beatgrid, and all the load markers, and loop points are in place. I have a gig bag and I make sure everything is in there. IE laptop, power supply x2, rca cables x3, Usb cables x4, iPod w/power adapter, CDs, headphones x2 plus ipod headphones just in case, Soundcard and VCI is in a flight case.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast