Xone 42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xone 42

Default Xone 42

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the Xone 42? I recently found a good deal on one for $500 (the graphite black version)...It also comes with an odyssey flight case. I noticed there's a usb port on it...so is there a soundcard that can be used to work with traktor via usb or is it only good for recording into the computer? Would one of these + a Xone K2 be a sufficient amount of controls for a traktor setup?

Let me know!

I think the USB in is only on the "mic" channel. At least that's what I can gather.

Straight from A&H
    4 dual stereo channels (2 phono/line, 2 line/line)
    3 band EQ +6dB to total kill
    Rotary X-FX control for routing to external FX
    VCF filter with resonance & frequency controls
    VCA Crossfader with curve control
    Mix ouputs on balanced XLR
    9 segment channel meters
    Illuminated lightpipes showing status of performance controls
    USB port with one stereo up to PC and one stereo back
    Independent booth output
    XLR microphone input with 2-band EQ and level control
    2 headphone outputs (1/4” and 3.5mm)
    Rack ears available
    It's single in/single out for recording and single source playback purposes.

Tech Mentor

if you pass on it...can you let me know where it is so i can get it?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The USB is for recording I think. $500 is a pretty good deal.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Yes, USB for recording... also note that with xone k2 you will be able to use 2 external outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by KryticalH!T View Post
    Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the Xone 42? I recently found a good deal on one for $500 (the graphite black version)...It also comes with an odyssey flight case. I noticed there's a usb port on it...so is there a soundcard that can be used to work with traktor via usb or is it only good for recording into the computer? Would one of these + a Xone K2 be a sufficient amount of controls for a traktor setup?

Let me know!
    If it includes the flight case 500 is a pretty decent deal.

Yeah a 42 and a K2 will offer more than enough control for traktor.

Is the USB really only for recording? Would you still need a seperate sound card to route audio from Traktor? For some reason I thought the USB could route the audio to the individual channels. as I type this though I dont know where that understanding has come from!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

From the Xone 42 manual.
    http://av.loyola.com/products/audio/...ne42-guide.pdf

The USB interface on the Xone:42 allows connection to a computer for recording, playback, and software-based effects. Remember to always use good quality RCA phono cables to route music signal between devices - sound quality will only be as good as the weakest component in the signal path.

USB for Effects
    Connect the X:FX Send to USB In on the left side on the Xone:42’s rear panel using RCA phono cables.
    Using a standard Type A to B USB lead, connect the Xone:42 to your computer’s USB port, and start
    your chosen FX software. You will need to select ‘USB Audio CODEC’ as the sound playback/recording
    device if it is not already selected. Connect USB Out to X:FX Return to complete the effects loop. You
    can then use the X:FX dry / wet controls to send signal from each channel to your computer, as you
    would with any other external effects hardware.

USB for Playback
    Connect your Xone:42 to your computer using a standard Type A to B USB lead. Open your chosen
    music playback software, ensuring that ‘USB Audio CODEC’ is selected as the sound playback device.
    You can now play music from your computer on the Mic / USB channel; ensure that ‘USB’ is selected using the switch next to the USB port on the Xone:42.
    If you wish to apply filter effects, etc. to the music signal from the computer, you can patch the signal into
    one of the four stereo channels by simply connecting USB Out to one of the channel Line Inputs.

USB for Recording
    Connect your Xone:42 to your computer using a standard Type A to B USB lead. Open your chosen
    music recording software, ensuring that ‘USB Audio CODEC’ is selected as the sound recording device.
    You can then send your mix to your computer by connecting Record Out to USB In.
    So it looks like it can play audio, but only through that one mic channel. I would be more interested in the FX function though. I wonder how many 42 users don't know they can do that.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Is the USB really only for recording? Would you still need a seperate sound card to route audio from Traktor? For some reason I thought the USB could route the audio to the individual channels. as I type this though I dont know where that understanding has come from!!
    Yes you need a separate soundcard. That's how it works with most USB/soundcard mixers. The 42 is a standard analog mixer though without a full integrated soundcard, the USB cannel it does have is kind of just a small added feature but not really important.

500$ isn't a bad deal. I use the internal soundcard for my Maschine and the four channels are connected to my Audio8. Works like a charm. I don't use the external effects but sometimes I use the send pots for mixing out my tracks. Rotary mixing. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast