Tempo/Genre Transition Songs
    Tech Convert

Default Tempo/Genre Transition Songs

I'm really fond of songs that meld to genres like house and drum and bass with great tempo transitions because I like to mix all sorts of genres. The downside to this is at least in Traktor there is no good way to beatgrid songs like this. They have to be one tempo or the other and they can't be malleable. I was wondering if anybody has any work around ideas for Traktor.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by FauxTones View Post
    I'm really fond of songs that meld to genres like house and drum and bass with great tempo transitions because I like to mix all sorts of genres. The downside to this is at least in Traktor there is no good way to beatgrid songs like this. They have to be one tempo or the other and they can't be malleable. I was wondering if anybody has any work around ideas for Traktor.
    There's a few songs that I know will drop to a certain tempo, and then I just mix the next track in manually. The other option you have is to slowly bump the pitch fader 3-5BPMs up each track, that way the audience doesn't notice it. So if you're at 130, 2 songs later you'll be at 140 and so on.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Been wondering this too. I have quite a few EDM tracks that transition like this amazingly.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Here's how I get around it. Set a grid marker at the start of the track, then also where the tempo change begins (usually it is over the course of several bars), and another once the tempo has become constant again. Keep note of the various tempos present in the track and change the BPM (and thus the grid) accordingly. Tracks with multiple tempo shifts eat up a lot of cue points with this method, but it makes them more useable.
    Eg. Drastic by DJ Hidden goes from starts at 140bpm, transition section, then 175bpm, another transition section, then 200bpm... eats 5 cue points as beat grid markers.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Convert

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of getting the beat grids to realign so I can use things like tempo dependent effects. I think Citizen's method would work if you made the cue points not just cue points but like beatgrid markers and then adjusted the tempo of the track while it was playing.