Yet another DIY RGB grid controller
    Tech Mentor

Default Yet another DIY RGB grid controller

greetings fellows!
    I would like to thank you for such a great forum and community! A lot of interesting and inspiring things going on around here, so I've decided to share with you some of my own projects.

After all this fuzz about the new Kontrol F1 I thought some one might find my project interesting. The project started as an RGB monome clone( a 8x8 grid of colorful buttons ) but could be used with anything that supports midi so I tried it out in Traktor and here are my results!
    The idea was to test/demonstrate the use of different colors on my device and see whether it was possible to fully operate Traktor with just one grid controller and I believe I covered most of the major controls.

here is a little demonstration video of it in action:
    and more details how it is mapped: http://tomashg.com/?p=576

what do you think about this? any suggestion or ideas how it could be used best or any cool tips/tricks with the mappings?
    Last edited by ghztomash; 04-17-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: typos

Shut up and take my money!
    How did you make that controller?!
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Love it, looks so good!

Hi dude great project what platform did you base it around?
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Tech Mentor

thanks!
    I developed it using nothing more than four Button Pad Controllers from Spark Fun, only soldering required for this project was the connection cable headers but I had to reprogram the firmware completely. You can get most of the technical details on my website as well as the source codes.
    The only problem is is that the SPI (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9840 ) boards from SparkFun got discontinued, and there are only 10 USB (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9839 ) boards left in stock.. and they have no plans to replace them with something similar

ps: you could use many SPI boards on their own with an arduino or something similar controlling them, or use one USB board which has a controller already embedded on the PCB, so no extra controllers or soldering was required.