Best. Gig. Ever.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Best. Gig. Ever.

So I got booked to play what I thought was a small house party with another DJ. The guy said he'd bring his TTs and mixer if I brought the PA system, so I agreed, and we showed up to set up around 9:30. He went first and got going around 10:30. He mixed a lot of hip-hop to get the crowd warmed up, and we got a decent number of people there. We were in a rather small basement, and it was packed with about 50+ people. He came coked up (if you saw my other gig post, you're probably shaking your head. I dunno what it is about DJs and cocaine around here ) and began doing shots after that, so by 11:30, he was pretty tore up.

Anywho, I went on at around 11:30 and began playing my electro. The place got nuts, apparently too nuts for the taste of local law enforcement. Someone came up to me and told me the cops were here, so I shut it off momentarily and went to go outside to see whether they were just pissed about the volume or whether we were getting shut down.

I get outside and it looked like downtown. Over 500 people showed up that were upstairs throwing down (we had speakers upstairs connected as well), and it had spilled out onto the patios and doorstep to the yard. and the cops had closed off the street to get people out. The road was backed up from end to end. I was not expecting anywhere near this magnitude, but the DJ in me is very pleased about the results of tonight.

I guess I did it right...?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Thats mad

Hope you didn't get in any trouble :P
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    .....The place got nuts, apparently too nuts for the taste of local law enforcement.........

You know what happened, Right????

Tech Mentor

Haha, well done sir! I have a whole playlist of samples for when things go wrong during house parties, from "F*** da police" to "Get that B**ch outta here!" There's nothing better than scratching up an acapella of a man saying "oh shit" as the police show up. They usually get a kick out of it too

Back to topic, have any of you guys ever gotten in trouble (as the dj) for playing at house parties? In my experience it is the homeowners that take all the heat, and I just take my time, pack up, and leave.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Best sample EVVAH. What did the hand say to the FACE?!

SLAP!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dayvue View Post
    Haha, well done sir! I have a whole playlist of samples for when things go wrong during house parties, from "F*** da police" to "Get that B**ch outta here!" There's nothing better than scratching up an acapella of a man saying "oh shit" as the police show up. They usually get a kick out of it too

Back to topic, have any of you guys ever gotten in trouble (as the dj) for playing at house parties? In my experience it is the homeowners that take all the heat, and I just take my time, pack up, and leave.
    I need to try that!

I've never gotten in trouble at a house party. I'm 21, so they can't really do anything about me drinking or anything, most of the time they just let me pack up my stuff and roll out. If anything, they're less of an asshole to you because of the fact that you're one of the more sober people there (most of the time )
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

Be careful. In the San Francisco area, the police were confiscating laptops and gear when breaking up house parties.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Be careful. In the San Francisco area, the police were confiscating laptops and gear when breaking up house parties.
    To what end??? That seems completely unnecessary, what do they hope to accomplish???

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post

O_O that would make me very, very sad... and I just turned 21 in February, but hadn't had much problems with police before that. Perhaps it is because I live near school and they're used to house parties?

And I don't know if it's where I live/go to school, but I've never ever even been aware of someone being high on cocaine in my vicinity. In my life.

They'll say that they're looking for illegally downloaded music/software but ultimately, it doesn't matter why they confiscate the hardware. Once they have it, it's near impossible to get it back while they "process it". I think it was the chief of police's personal vendetta against the "evil" after hours and late night partiers. It sucks to be on the losing end of somebody's re-election campaign. Just want you to be aware of the possibilities.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast