Where to get 'extended version' of top40 pop tracks?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where to get 'extended version' of top40 pop tracks?

I feel dumb for asking this.

I gotta dj for a bunch of friends for a birthday party, and I usually get my tracks from beatport and itunes, but for a lot of popular top40 type tracks; but for the great majority of pop tracks available on itunes; they never have any 'extended' mixes of the tracks available; its always the short 3-4 minutes radio single

Those radio singles are 'workable' but sometimes, damn I wish they had some breathing space ; I checked those promo only type cd pools one of my friend is members of, and the 'mainstream release' albums are the regular radio mixes and the so called 'club compilation' are super lousy remixes of pop tracks..

So I was just wondering if there was a legit ressource online for extended mix versions of pop tracks? Some radio mixes are kinda short-notice if you know what I mean.

I have no idea what you mean...wtfis breathing room... You should mix out generally after 1 verse and 1 chorus for most pop tunes anyway as a general rule of thumb because they're so repetitive. clearly this isn't always the case. For the more popular songs at the time you might go 2 or all the way through.

How is 3-4 minutes not long enough for a song that repeats the same chorus 4-6 times? Honestly - learn your music. This is why I hate when people take top40s gigs and have no idea what they are doing.

Thing about top 40 is that you often can't beatmatch it since the tempos are so far apart, so you have to resort to quick fader slams. In that case 3-4 minutes is plenty long enough.

Most house tempo chart music will have an extended version on the single which will be available on iTunes.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

You're looking for a house extended remix I think.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    I have no idea what you mean...wtfis breathing room... You should mix out generally after 1 verse and 1 chorus for most pop tunes anyway as a general rule of thumb because they're so repetitive. clearly this isn't always the case. For the more popular songs at the time you might go 2 or all the way through.

How is 3-4 minutes not long enough for a song that repeats the same chorus 4-6 times? Honestly - learn your music. This is why I hate when people take top40s gigs and have no idea what they are doing.
    I prefer the extended versions as it's easier to work with during beat mixing. Often the radio version start the lyrics too soon, also makes it harder to give a smoother transition as you need to quickly cut from one song to another, instead of letting both play for a while. You could do this with looping but I'm more used to using the longer song version, a take off from vinyl dj'ing.

As for the OP's question, not sure. It used to be very common to find the single CD's with radio and extended/club mix. I think the best source would be a record pool to find top 40 stuff on extended mix.
    Workflow
    Apple MBP 13", OSX 10.7 Lion, Traktor 2 LE, Audio 2 DJ

By extended mix do you mean intros and outros? Almost every record pool should have them. Mymp3pool does.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Combo Breaker View Post
    I feel dumb for asking this.

I gotta dj for a bunch of friends for a birthday party, and I usually get my tracks from beatport and itunes, but for a lot of popular top40 type tracks; but for the great majority of pop tracks available on itunes; they never have any 'extended' mixes of the tracks available; its always the short 3-4 minutes radio single

Those radio singles are 'workable' but sometimes, damn I wish they had some breathing space ; I checked those promo only type cd pools one of my friend is members of, and the 'mainstream release' albums are the regular radio mixes and the so called 'club compilation' are super lousy remixes of pop tracks..

So I was just wondering if there was a legit ressource online for extended mix versions of pop tracks? Some radio mixes are kinda short-notice if you know what I mean.
    Frank wasn't very helpful lol, don't mind him. Check your PM's though Combo Breaker

hey

Basically, they almost always dont exist!

Because they're not really intended for mixing as such, you very rarely get a Dj type mix with an instrumental intro and outro to let you ease it in. Even for the songs that do have longer album versions that are cut down for singles, its usually an extra verse or whatever they take away, not an intro/outro.

Best bets I normally find are a) just to loop a start section if it has a suitable bit, or to b) edit the song yourself, often a small section in the middle somewhere that you can copy and paste it to the start and the end to create what your looking for.

The DJ promo websites sometimes do this for you, either by the copy/paste method or by releasing various house or dance remixes, but again fairly rare compared to the number of top 40 tracks that get released.

k

try ultimix.com xmix.com

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    Best bets I normally find are a) just to loop a start section if it has a suitable bit, or to b) edit the song yourself, often a small section in the middle somewhere that you can copy and paste it to the start and the end to create what your looking for.
    That's exactly what I used to do untill I started mixing some proper (house) music. Now I'm obsessed with phrasing and massive intros/outros
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast