Sticking to genre?
    Tech Mentor

Default Sticking to genre?

Yoooo,

I just signed up and I have some questions. I played at my high school last month. At the party was around 300-400 people. They really liked the stuff i played, so im also booked at the party next month.

Now here's my question. At the last party I played a tad more mainstream than i'd do at home. It wasn't guetta, but it wasn't pan pot either. Thing is, im booked to play "different" music, since the school already have Djs to take care of the mainstream stuff. Im just hoping i can play more tech house n techno at the next party and try to make them like it. Is that a good idea, or what would u guys do? Im of course trying to find good groovy tracks. It's not like im gonna play very underground stuff. But it's gonna be unknown stuff them.
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Tech Mentor

I don't understand your question, are you looking for a genre to play?

What does the person booking you want you to play?
    Do you care about progression in the night?
    Have you got a reputation for playing a certain genre?

Tech Mentor

Haha ya, it was a bit weird. Well, I'm announced to play Tech and progressive. I'm trying to make a reputation of playing a certain genre - Tech. The night has all sorts of music, because this party is about music. The guy before me plays old school hip hop. My question is, it it ok for me to stick to unknown tracks, and really give a damn if they like it or not. I'm of course trying to built the set right and play tracks with the right atmosphere, but i wont play guetta for example.

Tech Guru

playing some tracks they know and some tracks they dont might work

Tech Mentor

Ya, did that last time. But I'll like to see if I can play completely unknown. It requires serious timing though. I just don't know if I should stick to that. I could of course see how they respond and then play stuff they known if it goes completely wrong, but i could also continue my own style and see where it goes..

Since I'm booked to play different, I feel I can give them what I want and try to make them like something new.
    Last edited by Dohjo; 03-19-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Tech Convert

It is hard to say what to do since we haven't really heard any of it. Do you improv? use samples and loops a lot or like mixing tracks more? If you improv... you can get away with way more in my experience... otherwise mix in something they know every 5 or so tracks. I mix genres all the time going from Nu-Disco over Funk and R&B to House and Breaks using samples and improv to bind it all together.
    Gonna keep my fingers crossed for you

Tech Mentor

A wide diversity of high school kids are not going to dig an underground set, I can promise you that. Those girls need lyrics they can sing along to or they start to feel uncomfortable.