Any updated comparisons between Traktor/Serato?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Any updated comparisons between Traktor/Serato?

Can you guys recommend any websites with recent OBJECTIVE comparisons between the new versions of Traktor Pro, Traktor Duo, and Serato? I'm talking about full on comparisons, not just brief descriptions.

Many people are just getting into controlling their music w/vinyl and/or midi, or are (like me) contemplating an upgrade in the near future, and I can't seem to find something that isn't a "fanboy" site.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default You found it !

This is the best non "that word" ( I can't even stand to say it) site there is. Most of the folks here can probably answer this question for ya.

Let's see...
    What type of music do you want to play?
    What type of environment are you trying to play in ? (one place?? travelling around ?)
    What equipment do you already have or know?
    What's your technical level ? computers..audio..midi..djing?

These are some discussion starters to get you on your way to getting the right system.

After that..you start to think...DVS or MIDI or some combo of the two.

I began my non-traditional vinyl Djing life as a very happy SSL user, but now I'm a very happy Taktor Pro user. I look forward to seeing that old familiar SSL interface on my computer again someday, maybe as a way to listen to the radio or tv and fool around with the live feed.

Both are really good. Sorry If I didn't exactly anser your question about comparisons. I thought maybe that would be getting ahead of ourselves.

Tech Wizard

I have a friend who's been making a living with Serato for about 3 years now, never seen Traktor. I demoed it for him last night, and his impressions were:

Pros: Great effects, allows for four decks, timecode control is just as responsive, and it plays nicely with Mixed In Key (Traktor has a dedicated Key field).

Cons: Interface is bit cluttered, waveforms are not as informative, and the Traktor timecode can be way loud/annoying if you're in a bedroom setting.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the replies....I know about this place pretty well, and traktor is the tool of choice here (because of the midi stuff from vestax) but don't get too many comparisons of Serato here.

Would like to see a comparison of the latest features on both.

Thanks again.

For me one of the most intriguing upcoming features for Traktor will be the ability to beatgrid music with fluctuating bpms (aka human drummers). This will open up a ton of new mixing possibilities.

On the flipside Serato has partnered up with Ableton which could present any number of cool developments.

As far as customer services goes, Serato wins hands down. For this last software update they released 3 beta versions and 4 release candidates before making the 1.9 update available. They ensure that their software is completely stable before releasing it. They also have been building and developing the same software since the day they started (no extreme changes in workflow/gui). The same can't be said for NI in either case.
    Serato Scratch Live 2.3 | SL3

Traktor Pro 2 | Audio 6, Audio 2

A&H Xone 02 | Technics SL-1200MK2

Tech Mentor

I dont like SSL. The interface is downright ugly and doesnt make sense to me. Im actually in love with the virtual DJ interface its super clean I love it, but its very limited. I find that Traktor Pro is the happy medium between looks and function. I wish my laptop had a higher res so I could really take advantage of spinning on 4 decks, although I could just assign a key for turning on the browser, as a matter of fact I will, thinking while typing for the win! So yeah my vote Traktor + Ableton....
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

As far as interfaces go Traktor Pro is my favorite.

I really like how easy it is to set cues in Serato though.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Personally, I don't know of any really objective reviews, but I'm sure Remix Magazine, or DJMag, or Skratchworx has something.

Realise, in my mind, the majority of the difference you'll find is in the workflow and GUI. That's a completely personal thing. Now that Serato has started implementing more MIDI and effects into their warez, and updated their soundcard, the comparisons are differences are getting more personal, in my opinion.

But I'm sure there are some things Google can find you
    Last edited by DvlsAdvct; 05-01-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: It's too early
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Alright guys, this has nothing to do with the question. He's asking for side by side comparisons by objective parties. We are not objective as we are users. I don't want this thread to turn into another "Serato vs. Traktor" or the dreaded "Mac vs. PC".

Personally, I don't know of any really objective reviews, but I'm sure Remix Magazine, or DJMag, or Skratchworx has something.

Realise, in my mind, the majority of the difference you'll find is in the workflow and GUI. That's a completely personal thing. Now that Serato has started implementing more MIDI and effects into their warez, and updated their soundcard, the comparisons are differences are getting more personal, in my opinion.

But I'm sure there are some things Google can find you
    Huh?? I'm a user of both programs and have given him several points to consider when comparing the two.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, wasn't really directed at you. It's early and I'm tired. Meh

No worries.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast