I've got everything I need... Except a PA system. Help!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I've got everything I need... Except a PA system. Help!

Hey guys, I've almost got all the things I need to finally start playing some shows (s2 is on the way), but I'm starting to think that I should get a PA system so I'll be able to be a little more flexible of a DJ.

Here's what I've got:

Kontrol S2
    Laptop
    Headphones
    Dual RCA Cable

If I go ahead and get some powered monitors, will that be enough to get me bumpin' some tunes? If so, what monitors do you guys recommend? I'm looking at 300-600 for one or two monitors.

Any help would be appreciated!

Do you want a PA system or monitors? Do not attempt to DJ a party with studio monitors you will blow them.

Tech Student

Renting from a reputable place can be a good option for starting off. Also Guitar Center sometimes has really great deals on Used speakers w/ a one month free warranty.

Don't forget about speaker stands!! A lot of people forget about these...

Can find a decent starter pa system for around that price range I believe check out the packages on www.idjnow.com they have been around and have purchased from rem before with no issues

Tech Wizard

go with behringers they are loud, cheap, and hold up well

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Do you want a PA system or monitors? Do not attempt to DJ a party with studio monitors you will blow them.
    Definitely looking at a PA system, already have a set of monitors for home use. I'm trying to see who's used what, and whether or not I'll need anything else in addition to some active monitors like an amp or mixer or something. Hopefully the S2 and RCA cables is enough, but if I need anything else I'm gonna have to go get it!

Just have silent disco's where everyone wears headphones lol.
    Hardware: MBA 13" i7 | NI S4 | Maschine
    Software: TSP 2.5 | Live 8 | ZebraII | Massive | FM8 | Sylenth1

Quote Originally Posted by DJSplinter View Post
    Definitely looking at a PA system, already have a set of monitors for home use. I'm trying to see who's used what, and whether or not I'll need anything else in addition to some active monitors like an amp or mixer or something. Hopefully the S2 and RCA cables is enough, but if I need anything else I'm gonna have to go get it!
    I would get 2 passive speakers and an amp (It's generally cheaper that way) and they might come with speaker cable, because you really dont want to have rcas going all over the place trying to get to different speakers. I find its best to have the RCA's going straight into the amp, and then the amp's speakon / 1/4" cables going to the speakers, because they're generally about 5 meters.

Also, as carma said, DO NOT forget about stands. It raises the speakers to head height. Which makes the room feel so much louder.

Remember to not push the speakers too hard, because they can blow (Learnt from experience) And perhaps invest in a sub in the near future - They make a HUGE difference to house parties - They just thicken up the sound a LOT.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

What speakers you'd want to get could depend on the size of the room that you're djing in. I do house parties for some of my friends in a smaller house and I have a set of passive Harbinger 120's that I got from a Guitasr Center for 200 -including the amp-during a sale they were running. They're not the best but these kids don't really care about perfect sound. I also have a powered behringer (B210D white) that I use too. The behringer sounds nicer but was the same price for one. Just something else to think about.

I'm not looking for something top of the line, but I'm aiming for an amp and two speakers that are versatile and will last me a little while. I'm just starting out, so funds are low of late...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast