Creating clips with MIDI controller
    Tech Mentor

Default Creating clips with MIDI controller

Hi there,

I've recently started using Ableton Live 8, but there's one rather annoying problem I just can't seem to find an answer for.

Setting up my LPD8 was no problem, and I know you need to use the MIDI-map button in the top right corner to map "whatever you can click on" to a midi controller. What I can't figure out, however, is how I can use my LPD8 to actually create a clip (i.e. playing different notes or drum sounds from a package, or whatever it's called in Live), instead of having to use my laptop keyboard.

Should be something very simple, but I'm completely lost and getting frustrated.

Thank y'all for your time!
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Mentor

There is no Midi Command for create clips.
    I'm not sure if there is a "hotkey" for crating clips, which you could send a keystroke from Bomes to do that.
    HOWEVER, there is ClyphX a script you can add to Ableton to get a lot of functions out of. I'm not sure ClyphX offers a create clip, but it definately will make a clip a specific size pending on your global quantize settings, which is cool.

I highly recommend ClyphX.
    There may be a NativeKontrol template fro the LPD8 or at leats some template you could use that would do this.
    I would also look up Midi Remote scripts for the LPD8

You could arm the track, press record, and copy the recording from the arrangement back into the session view.