Traktor s2 speaker hum (noise)
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor s2 speaker hum (noise)

My set up is simple but when i plug the Sony VAIO vpcea3m1e in to the mains @ the wall ..i start to get a nasty buz that i do not like @ all when the VAIO is just running on battery power everything is crystal clear

dose anyone know what could fix this issue .

thanks

SDC10301.jpg

Hi DJH, some laptops have noise some don't, for example my Macbook Pro doesnt have any buzz, but my HP does. Try having your VAIO on a different power outlet altogether from the rest of your setup. That works sometimes depends on the wiring of house /venue. General theory is power cords shouldnt run parallel to the audio cables, keep the well away from each other can work sometimes. It's better to have them cross over at 90 degrees. This is something all DJ's that use a laptop should consider when purchasing as it is a nightmare to fix with buzz eliminators etc. Good luck and dont listen to people that say to cut your earth out by using a 2 prong plug as it's dangerous.
    Cheers, Maxy.
    Maxiboy

Tech Wizard

Maxiboy THANK YOU

u have given me a few things to think about here ..

if i do find the fix i will post on this page the solution i come up with

You need a ground loop isolator.
    One way around this, as a temporary solution only, use an adapter for your laptop plug that eliminates the ground. These can be found at Walmart or hardware store. I would definitely use a a surge protector if doing this.

Tech Wizard

ITS NOT MY 1ST CHOICE ..

but iv now switched over to using high quality RCA's and its fixed it to about 80% less noise now.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJH View Post
    ITS NOT MY 1ST CHOICE ..

but iv now switched over to using high quality RCA's and its fixed it to about 80% less noise now.
    sorry i was wrong its just as bad just had the gains down on the speakers amps

when I first hooked up my S2 I was going to use some cheapo RCA's and run them unbalanced into my powered monitors.... well the HUM and Buzz was so bad I could hardly hear my music. So I went to guitar center and bought some high quality Mogami XLR cables, 1/4inch to male XLR to be exact, fixed EVERYTHING I was hearing. Look into it.

I too was looking at doing the gound loop isolator thing, but decided I would try the XLR cables first. You should give it a go, can probably get some from radio shack, if it doesnt work, take em back. Im betting about a 95% chance it fixes your issue.

Tech Mentor

as the poster above suggested, balanced cables might help. you can get TRS-to-XLR or TRS-to-TRS cables.

edit: it might also help to connect all devices to the same outlet using a power cord.

edit2: in some locations (e.g., in my home country germany), it can help to turn around the AC adapter. (sockets differ across the world, so i can't tell if this can help you.)
    Last edited by rgtb; 03-25-2012 at 09:53 AM.