Searching for a mixer for Ableton
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Searching for a mixer for Ableton

Hey everybody!
    I just got into production and mainly use Ableton Live for music production at the moment. As I think hardware would be much more comfortable than mouse and keyboard for editing parameters, volume etc. I was looking for a mixer which is MIDI-capable (or capable of another protocoll which communicates with Ableton).

I just had a look at the Mackie Control Universal Pro which is already quite fine (motorfaders, transport section etc.), but I would love to have some more encoders for having to use "Shift"-Switches less. Nicest would be a controller that looks almost like an analog mixer with several rows of encoders.

But as far as I've not yet found one I would like to hear your suggestions!

(P.S.: I'm not talking about such a 50.000$ Protools mixer, budget is probably not much higher than 2000 if really necessary.)

Tech Mentor

Korg Zero 4/8 maybe?
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

Nothing wrong with producing with a mouse. It's the only way I do it. A better way to speed up what your doing is to learn all the key shortcuts in Live.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Other than the Zero8 the vestax VCM-600 is another contender they are pretty cheap these days if you get them second hand...

[c][/c]
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashigari View Post
    Korg Zero 4/8 maybe?
    Already thought about it and despite of lots of criticism on the internet it seesm quite great, but as far as I know, it's no longer built and with second-hand gear it's often a question in which condition it arrives. But I will keep in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    Other than the Zero8 the vestax VCM-600 is another contender they are pretty cheap these days if you get them second hand...
    Very good recommendation and I would directly jump into it, maybe with an additional launchpad, if it had motor faders. It's a pity it doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Nothing wrong with producing with a mouse. It's the only way I do it. A better way to speed up what your doing is to learn all the key shortcuts in Live.
    I'll keep learning keyboard shortcuts, that's a good tip, but my experiences with other music gear (S4, Maschine etc.) is that they enhance the workflow a lot!

no one said APC40?!

get the APC40. you have access to faders for all channels, and practically speaking, unlimited encoders to use. the device control section will control whichever effect or effect rack (and macro bank) you currently have selected, so you can hop between devices and always be controlling whichever parameters you need.
    if you need a shit ton of encoders and that's all you need, consider a BCR2000

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by ajrindy View Post
    no one said APC40?!

get the APC40. you have access to faders for all channels, and practically speaking, unlimited encoders to use. the device control section will control whichever effect or effect rack (and macro bank) you currently have selected, so you can hop between devices and always be controlling whichever parameters you need.
    if you need a shit ton of encoders and that's all you need, consider a BCR2000
    +1 on the APC 40, I was set on the VCM for ages until I found out that the controls are all knobs and not encoders (FUCK!) APC pretty much nails everything (for now)

However I'm thinking that a few K2's and/or Behringer CMD's once they all get released would be a wicked setup for live and give even more hands on control to all the parameters rather than needing to switch banks all the time or compromise on channel EQ's.

If its really motor faders you want you could go the ol' BCF2000 route mind you, cheap as chips and reliable.

enhance the workflow

For production in Live, you'll be drawing in automation using the mouse. If you're adjusting things (volume, EQ, etc...) using a midi controller none of that will be recorded and will disappear when you click "Back to Arrangement"...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

For production in Live, you'll be drawing in automation using the mouse. If you're adjusting things (volume, EQ, etc...) using a midi controller none of that will be recorded and will disappear when you click "Back to Arrangement"...
    Huh?

Once you press "record" all the controller movements or button presses are recorded and saved regardless of clicking back to arrangement.

You're wrong man! You can record controller automations. Just check out the tuts on Youtube! And to me it's much more easy and especially quicklier to automate it once or twice with hands on a real controller than keep tweeking the automation line for minutes using the mouse.

@ajrindy & deevey
    Already considered the APC 40 for myself and you're absolutely right. In most aspects and especially for live usage the APC 40 is the hottest controller on the market. Though for production, when you are sitting in front of an arrangement with for example 30 tracks and there are no motorfaders, and you have to keep pressing shift buttons etc. to get the right EQ Channel and parameters it takes a lot of the fun.
    Nevertheless, to be realistic, APC 40 seems to be one of the best solutions.

Wish the K2s had only endless encoders, then switching layers would be a bit more easy (no need for collect-mode with danger to turn the knob to far...)

BTW: Don't like Behringer products so much... . Maybe it's simply because of the ugly blue

I know, it's quite difficult if not impossible to find exactly what I'm looking for, especially to have everything in one device.
    Nevertheless: Maybe one of you will find exactly something like that...
    Thanks for your recommendations so far!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast