N00b - does the S2 make sense for me?
    Tech Student

Default N00b - does the S2 make sense for me?

I currenly create music using Reason with a number of midi controllers. I want to get into DJ-style creation (which I have never done) for fun, I'd be very surprised if I played out much, if ever (minus a summer BBQ or something).

Does getting the S2 make sense for me? Is it a waste on a novice? I tend to be able to learn technology pretty fast (work in the IT field), but is the learning curve on Traktor ridiculous?

Thanks so much for helping out the new guy.

I personally bought the S4 as my first controller for DJing (still have it) and I think it was quite self-explaining. Never had used the Traktor software before, but didn't have much problems.

BUT reason for this might be that at that time I already had used Virtual DJ for about half a year (with mouse and keyboard) and therefore already had some know-how and especially the motivation to do that.

So I think it wouldn't be a waste of time for you to have a look at the Virtual DJ Free Home Software (which is free ) which was the beginning of nearly all of us here, I guess. Just try it out, learn some functionality and then decide whether or not to take this business one step further and buy an S2!

Tech Mentor

Traktor is super easy to use and DJTT as well as this forum has extensive info on traktor. I personally use an S2 in my set up and i mostly do mashups and "Live production".I'd suggest to use the midi controllers you have now to kindof get a hang out traktor and mapping and see if you wanna continue with it before you make any serious purchase.

Tech Student

Great. Thanks guys. I will download the demo of Traktor as well as Virtual DJ Free and try them out.

I'd go with traktor, it's got tons of effects, effect grouping, you can store cues, loops, fade in's, fade outs..