Getting an agency/managing to get constant gigs
    Tech Wizard

Default Getting an agency/managing to get constant gigs

To be able to get work all over is it recommended to get an angecy or something/someone to represent you?
    The skill is there dj wise, I just feel like having that behind you will give an extra bounce and keep things consistant. Also how do they work? Thanks

Tech Student

I dont think you need an agency to get your name out their. I think self promotion is the better way of doing it. Create a website, make business cards, talk to people, etc.

Its going to be REALLY tough to find any promotion company to back you, unless they are good friends with you or you already have a very good following or are well known in the area. Reputable companies will want a established DJ cause lets face it they want to make money off you. But in return they will get you booked all over and do the leg work to promote you.

The majority of promotion companies are just some dude sitting behind a computer hoping to make a few bucks off you, you got to be careful to not just get involved with one and they either book nothing for you, or expect you to do all the work while they sit behind facebook trying to make money off you. You need a company that is super involved, going to the gigs, meeting the folks, putting up flyers, etc. But again you won't get those unless you really have something to provide.

It all depends on you, and what u want to do. I've worked with Dj that have managers for Weddings. If you have a good set-up with lighting and all. you might wanna find a Talent Agent. But be really careful there are a lot of fake ppl out there that will just take ur money. Now if Weddings arent your thing, and your more of the Club Dj type. You probably dont need a agent until you start getting constant work by yourself.

When I was in CA, I worked with a booking agent. Unfortunately she has since gone on to greener pastures and now booking celebrity DJs only. One thing with DJ booking agents is that you have to constantly hound them to book you gigs, otherwise they forget about you.

Also with the popularity of club promoters, most DJ Booking Agents do not deal with local or regional DJs anymore. With the rise of controllers and young pups doing gigs for free or undercutting pay, there really is nothing for the agent to make. DJing is one of the few jobs where pay have gone down over time rather than go up. Its sad. Back in the 90's, a good local DJ making $500 a night is pretty normal. Nowadays you have kids and their controller, downloading Beatports top 50 and pressing the sync button doing gigs for a bar tab and/or $50. It is diluting a working DJs pay. How can an agent and a DJ make money in that scenario. An agent can't go to a club and demand $500 for his client when a promoter has a DJ for $50.

Cheap as DJs are ruining the pay standards. A DJ can now buy a controller get, Traktor or VDJ and sync his way into a club. Clubs don't fucking care cause all they are losing is $50+. And if he sucks there are 50 more lined up at the door willing to take his place. Some will even undercut this guy further by just charging a bar tab and free cover for his buddies.

So most agents will only handle nationally and internationally touring "celebrity" DJs these days.
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 03-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook