New to Producing, Need Help!

Default New to Producing, Need Help!

lol basically i have one simple question, Do people like Dillon Francis, Skrillex, Zomboy, really anyone, do they create the sounds in their songs? cause I'm pretty sure they don't just buy a sound pack and edit it and throw it all together, if they do create these sounds (which I'm pretty sure they do) how do they do it? I apologize if this is a dumb question but its been keeping me up at night

Some do, other's don't.

If you want to create your sounds, start reading up on the basics of synthesis, then the manual for a synthesizer or two (at least one should have come with your DAW), then start experimenting.

It's hard to say, because synthesis and sampling are two different beasts. Synthesis is.... well... unique because you make your sounds. Sampling is also more than drag and drop.... There's cutting up, warping, and the processing alone can make it a totally new sound. Everyone works in different ways, and has different work flows and ideas so it's hard to tell what these guys are doing exactly. The beauty of music.

Tech Mentor

You can change samples to no end, it's all about how creative you are. Sometimes, having less is more and that will force you to look at things from a different angle, it forces you to become more creative to get the sounds you want. Realistically, samples in a finished track shouldn't sound identical to the stock samples coming out of a pack, at least in my opinion.

study synthesis. learn about sampling, in the end its all about getting that final product

Tech Guru

Quite a few use the various synths & sounds from NI products. At least I read about those in the marketing stuff. What they are unlikely to do is rely on the preset values out of the box.
    Last edited by soundinmotiondj; 12-16-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Cimini View Post
    lol basically i have one simple question, Do people like Dillon Francis, Skrillex, Zomboy, really anyone, do they create the sounds in their songs? cause I'm pretty sure they don't just buy a sound pack and edit it and throw it all together, if they do create these sounds (which I'm pretty sure they do) how do they do it? I apologize if this is a dumb question but its been keeping me up at night
    I'm pretty sure most producers use a combination of self created sounds and samples. Takes drums for example: it would be pretty uncommon for a producer to make all their drums sounds from a synthesizer.

If you're starting out, I would start with a lot of samples. Creating synthesized sounds is a lot of work, and can be difficult, especially if you don't have a music background. The other thing is, it will grant you time to focus on other things, like getting channels mixed properly, and laying out the structure of the track in the timeline.

You will get bored of this eventually, and will want to make your own sounds though..

Enh....don't worry too much about using stock sounds. Jimi Hendrix didn't invent the stratocaster....he just figured out his effects chain and turned his gains way up.

If you can't write a good song with stock sounds, learning all about synthesis/sampling and mangling things all to hell won't help. It's just one more part of the whole.