Is a crossfader really necessary? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, ultimately you'll find and establish your own workflow within the confines of what you can afford. As long as you're having fun and are able to challenge yourself to keep it interesting then nothing else really matters (ie the sync vs beatmatch debate) Seems like you're approaching it the right way though.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

It's easier to make quick cuts with a crossfader than slamming a line fader all day. It also allows you to bring in a track at instantly full volume instead of having a slight ramp up as you slam the fader (not that it makes a huge difference). Primarily though, it's useful for scratching and even though I don't scratch a ton, I wouldn't want a crossfader-free mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Well, ultimately you'll find and establish your own workflow within the confines of what you can afford. As long as you're having fun and are able to challenge yourself to keep it interesting then nothing else really matters (ie the sync vs beatmatch debate) Seems like you're approaching it the right way though.
    Thanks. I have been having a blast getting back into music. I am a bit of a computer nerd, so I have embraced making my own MIDI mappings for Traktor. Having USB-based MIDI controllers has been a revelation to me that I have fully embraced...(I know I've been out of touch for a while...last I knew MIDI was the domain of electric keyboards in the 80s).

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    It's easier to make quick cuts with a crossfader than slamming a line fader all day. It also allows you to bring in a track at instantly full volume instead of having a slight ramp up as you slam the fader (not that it makes a huge difference). Primarily though, it's useful for scratching and even though I don't scratch a ton, I wouldn't want a crossfader-free mixer.
    I hear you...that is what I mainly use it for (though not too often). So, given that just about every imaginable DJ mixer has a crossfader, my real question then becomes down more to whether I can get away with doing everything I want just with controllers mixing internally) and just 2 steroe outs (Main & Headphones) or do I need/want/benefit from an external mixer.

I mix with the line faders and scratch with the crossfader, it is set at 0.78% cut in that is one CC tick... My personal opinion is if you are mixing with your ears open you can't help but notice the lack of control over the level that the crossfader gives.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Map the crossfader to something else. You might wanna mess around with cuts in the future. If your investing in gear you plan to use for a long time. Better then buying something expensive without one and regretting it later.
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

Well, you lose a minor amount of sound quality mixing internally (I'm talking audiophile-type niggles here), but you'll be fine doing so. I mixed internally for two years without issue and there are big acts out there (Zedd, Porter Robinson, etc.) who use internal mixing with the S4. Just make sure you have a decent soundcard - I'd imagine the K2 should cut it but it's hard to tell with it not being released yet.

i only use a x fader for scratching.. i dont even have my x fader mapped on my apc atm. for mixing why bother with anything but the volume imo? its just another thing to keep track of in the mix.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Besides scratching I like using the crossfader to cut patterns in and out of a mix (though be careful not to overdo this). It's a bit different way to mix two songs together - cut back and forth from one to the other on the & or the 1,2,3,4 for a couple measures before coming into the next track. Of course it only works for certain track combinations. I also like doing this without cutting all the way across on other mixes, have the new track's channel fader at half mast and cut in and out on the beat as you bring the new track's channel fader up and the previous one down. Again, don't overdo this or try it on tracks you haven't practiced with because it won't always sound that great; it really depends on the sounds being cut in and out.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

^ i like to freeze them back in forth.. also fun sometimes
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast