Using iPad for DJing?
    Tech Convert

Default Using iPad for DJing?

Hello Guys,

I'm going to buy an iPad(3) and I want to use it as an accessory next to my win7traktor laptop. I have two questions:

1. How much latency does it generate as a midi controller? What is the best the way to reduce this if this is high?
    2. What applications are you using? What is your favourite, what do you recommend?
    Setup: Numark Mixtrack, Creative USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround Pro OS/Specs/Software:Win7/ Intel 2GHz quad-core, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ Traktor Scratch Pro 2

1. Using an ad-hoc network reduces latency to a minimum but using a dedicated router like a WRT54G is also an option.
    I experienced about 10ms latency MAX.

2. I used Lemur and TouchOSC. I recommend the Lemur software as it is way more versatile and easier to set up.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Guru

I experienced about 10ms latency MAX.
    I would be very interested to know how you MEASURED that latency.

James, if you want to reduce latency and increase stability, you might want to look into an option like the iConnectMIDI or the Alesis IODock. These products provide you with a stable wired connection via USB (as well as providing other great features).

Oh, in OSX you can see the latency in the MIDI network configuration window. Don't know if that's the true latency (I guess just a few ms more, but hey, at least it something).

Let's say, I could do crabs on the iPad just as fast and as on-time as on the iPad without adjusting.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Guru

Don't know if that's the true latency (I guess just a few ms more, but hey, at least it something).
    Referring to the latency between input and action, your OSX applet has no way of calculating it. That is essentially a buffer setting that represents just part of your overall latency.

So no, that isn't your MIDI latency.

Tech Convert

Thank you for the anwerses. I just wanted to know how much delay is there beetween touching the screen and hearing the sound, because most of the capatitve touchscreens react in about 50-100ms. So am I right if I state that an ipad with appropriate midi software doesn't generate more delay than a midi fighter (or any other regular midi controllers)?

(BTW sorry for my bad english)
    Setup: Numark Mixtrack, Creative USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround Pro OS/Specs/Software:Win7/ Intel 2GHz quad-core, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ Traktor Scratch Pro 2

i spun last week with my ipad (connected wirelessly running lemur) and MF classic. worked like a charme.. cannot tell you an exact number but latency was maybe 20ms or less..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst