WMC Performance- Is this a new level of Turntablist based routines? Thoughts? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

just had to watch that again - bloody fantastic
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Dude that was a most Awesome routine!! ..possibly one of the best I've seen.

BUT

Plz help support the Video DJ culture, we want to see video screens in every club!!
    I have honestly only seen about 2 acts that come close to what you did. There's just too few VJ's who actually know what they are doing, and the ones that are decent are generally too expensive for club owners/promoters to warrant paying them (at least for more than one night a week). Video screens in clubs are unfortunately a nice idea, but usually end up either just for club/drink adverts, fashion TV or Winamp visuals.

I used to VJ (not on your scale of things) but in a rather big club as their in-house LJ/VJ ..... If I didn't turn up there was pretty much no-one within 100 miles that could even run the rig, part of it, perhaps.

Our Visual setup was 25 plasma's, Edirol V4, Hippotizer, Arkaos Box, Midi Keyboard, Dancefloor Cam's and 2x20ft projection walls ... Lighting desks were midi'd up to the Hippotizer as well - and this was just the install rig excluding the DV cams and Laptops I'd bring in as well.

Fact was that 4 weeks after opening, all the visual equipment started gathering dust almost, ad's were just being played on a loop .. The hippotizer was used for just throwing a "ticker"down the bottom of the screens for sports matches (what a waste of 10k!)

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but coming from the visual side of thing as well I actually DON'T want to see big screens in every club - its like saying you want a grand piano installed in every club because you used one during a set and can play well.... like I said, its a nice idea but not practical for most installs. For one-off events however it makes things a little bit "special".

Most DJ's can't even get a their shit together musically, never mind trying to do it visually as well

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Sorry if it sounds harsh, but coming from the visual side of thing as well I actually DON'T want to see big screens in every club - its like saying you want a grand piano installed in every club because you used one during a set and can play well.... like I said, its a nice idea but not practical for most installs. For one-off events however it makes things a little bit "special".
    personally i'd hate to see big screens in every club unless they were being used for cool visuals - not normal video, mixed or otherwise. the posted video was absolutely fantastic - but it never occurred to me that it may have been intended for a club setting.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Wizard

fucking excellent lol

Mudo

Quote Originally Posted by SourOne View Post
    Turntablism > all
    TOOLtablism imho.

Tech Convert

deevay,

thank you for your response. i can see where you are coming from but keep in mind that this was an isolated performance. a lot of what we do is for the nightclub setting. here is an older project that i did that maybe can give you a better idea of the videos that would be used in a club setting. i come from an audio background and will be the first to say audio is always primary and visuals are secondary. i appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by djcostik; 05-15-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: video did not go thru

Tech Convert

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT HAS REPLIED IN THREAD. I am glad that you enjoyed and share my love for the two cultures (video mixing and turntablism)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345