Maschine or Reason 6?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Maschine or Reason 6?

Hey guys!
    its my birthday coming up this weekend and i have some extra b-day money to burn on some VERy needed things!
    I am posting this to get some ppls opinions on what i should buy...for starters, i come from a DJ background, and would like to get into production. ive messed around to a certain extent with Reason 5's DAW, and love it. My question is, would i be going a round about way to creating/producing music if i purchase a Maschine first instead of a DAW? the reason why i say this is, i know that you can use reasons kong as a MPC drum pad, and redrum as a drum sequencer, which is basically what maschine or a mcp does. why would somebody purchase a maschine instead of a DAW with an akai mini pad and keyboard? can somebody please explain to me why maschine seems more intuitive for me when im watching youtube videos over reason DAW videos? i guess im more of a remixer than an original producer...does this have something to do with it? thanks for all the help and opinions guys! dun know what i would do without this forum!!

cheers!

The reason to purchase Maschine over some random pad controller to use with another drum machine is that the software is actually pretty powerful and very straightforward. It's a step towards the groove box thing that's a lot cheaper than going all hardware and can do more than Kong by itself. It's more comparable to Reason than to Kong, though it has limitations based on being entirely groove based.

Only you can figure out whether you're going to like it or not, and the videos help a lot.

If you love Reason, then just get Reason. It sounds good and is very powerful. And with the recently announced rack extensions, it's probably just going to get better.

I honestly would invest in the Maschine at the moment, and then later down the road look into Ableton. The only reason I would say not to get Reason is because you can't run third party VSTs in it (Unless they changed that recently). So once you get reason, you're pretty much stuck with it.

By purchasing the Maschine now and then Ableton later you can still use the Maschine in Ableton.

Actually, you should get Ableton FIRST I would say, and then get the Maschine afterwards.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    I honestly would invest in the Maschine at the moment, and then later down the road look into Ableton. The only reason I would say not to get Reason is because you can't run third party VSTs in it (Unless they changed that recently). So once you get reason, you're pretty much stuck with it.

By purchasing the Maschine now and then Ableton later you can still use the Maschine in Ableton.

Actually, you should get Ableton FIRST I would say, and then get the Maschine afterwards.
    Not true about reason.

I have reason rewired into logic and use maschine as an au instrument. So to say not to buy reason as you would be stuck with it is not exactly correct.

Personally, i would invest in maschine first as you say you have already got your head around reason.

Also, as suggested above it may be benificial to invest in a daw that can run third party plug ins. That way you can sequence them all, inc. reason.

Have you thought about maschine micro?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Not Quite ...

Press release during the week explained pretty fully the new rack-extensions which third party developers like sugar bytes / korg etc are already creating ..

Looks like Rack Extensions will be the way forward its a VERY apple like ecosystem + "App store" for extensions which are all vetted prior to release by props.

As it stands you can rewire into Ableton to gain VST support but in a few months you'll not need to, no doubt NI and the rest of the Big Boys will probably bring the likes of Massive as a Really logically laid out (and really configurable) extension set rather than a completely un-uniform mish mash of VST's

Found it skip to around 15.30min mark

Last edited by deevey; 03-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Are you guys not looking at what you're typing? You both saying that you have to run Reason into Ableton or Logic in order to run VSTs in Reason. Seems very redundant to run Reason into Ableton/Logic/Cubase to run VSTs when you can just use Ableton/Logic/Cubase as your host DAW.
    Last edited by JasonBay; 03-27-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Because Lattridge is a little spaz

Are you guys not looking at what you're typing? You both saying that you have to run Reason into Ableton or Logic in order to run VSTs in Reason. Seems very redundant to run Reason into Ableton to run VSTs when you can just use Ableton as your host DAW.
    THIS. The only reason you would use reason is if you really dig its workflow.... if you are going to rewire it... whats the point?

Tech Student

Are you two completely retarded?

People do not just use ableton.

I started with reason and then progressed on to logic. However i still wanted to use thaw as its a great synth. I use reason to compliment my productions and by using rewire its like one giant vst.

Maybe if you both were not so ignorant you would realise what you were saying is complete bullshit, instead of trying to throw ableton down the poor lads throat.

Not once does he mention ableton on his purchase list.

I was using Ableton as an example, could have easily exchanged it with Logic.

Now, if you've already started out with Reason and have been using it over the years that I can understand, but to try and learn it now with Ableton, Logic and even Cubase out there just doesn't make any sense. Far more efficient software to use out there now a days.

Now, if you've already started out with Reason and have been using it over the years that I can understand, but to try and learn it now with Ableton, Logic and even Cubase out there just doesn't make any sense. Far more efficient software to use out there now a days.
    Have you ever used Reason? I don't like it all that much, and I disagree with you completely. Reason has a lot of advantages, and it's kinda cool. The audio routing is really open, and the modulation is at least as good as the best soft synths out there…only with more options. It has the best metering of any DAW. Basically, the only thing I don't like about it is the sequencer. I'm not a huge fan of some of the instruments either, but they're usable. And Rack Extensions will solve that.

I advise new people against it because you can't use plugins……but, honestly, if you like the workflow you like the workflow. I wouldn't choose it over Pro Tools or Logic, but I'd choose it over Ableton.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast