Touchstrip LED Pitch Fader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Touchstrip LED Pitch Fader

Many years ago, as a little bitty bedroom dj, I got my first taste of using hot cues when I bought a technics sl-dz1200, and soon after discovered midi; resulting in awesome visions of how gear could be...

Finally, hardware manufacturers are closing the gaps between dreams and reality... analog and digital... turntablism and controllerism.

But one thing that bugs me about decks that toggle between controlling 2 songs is that the pitch fader stays where you put it while setting song A's bpm when you toggle to song B. One workaround for this would be motorized faders, right? Yeah, maybe not...

What if we could use something like the NS7's Stripsearch or Twitch's touchstrip as pitch fader?? With the LED's under neath the touch sensitive strip, song A's pitch "fader" position will be remembered when toggled to song B and back.

Anyone with an iphone can tell you that a touchscreen isnt always capable of pinpoint action... but what if there was an encoder knob on the side of the touch strip? This would let you fine tune the tempo to your hearts most precise desire!

touch strip.jpg

Thoughts? Comments?

Tech Convert

Hi, this is good idea, i used it in my twitch upgrade concept http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=49487

stanton scs.1d

they have had a massive price cut recently so you can pick a pair of them up for around $700 with the mixer, they have dual layers with motorized pitch faders and direct drive motors... apparently like everything else it has poor intigration with traktor, It is now sold with vdj which has perfect intigration.

Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

i love the look of the stanton scs1.d's. i'd love a motorized platter for some of that old school feel...

on the issue tho just having a single touch strip like the vmeter (or from my stanton scs3d's) is plenty...

u could use it in absolute mode for big changes to get the basic ballpark, and then press some toggle modifier that then sends out relative "adjustment" messages to that original absolute value which would work fine if using a 14bit message like pitchbend.

must admit having an actual motorised pitch fader is cool tho... seemed quite noisy tho from some vids i had seen. a physical fader instead of a touch strip would feel much more natural to use.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Guru

It's a great idea, but not a new one. The original Otus has a touch strip for pitch, as does the SCS.3d.

nothing new sure... which is why i mentioned my scs.3d's. i'm not sure why they never became more popular really. i bought both of mine 2nd hand very cheaply...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Convert

Check out my topic with new Twitch Concept in General forum, where i used touchstrips for pitch faders

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    nothing new sure... which is why i mentioned my scs.3d's. i'm not sure why they never became more popular really. i bought both of mine 2nd hand very cheaply...
    yea, the SCS3 has incredible capability for such a small controller and the touch is extremely accurate and responsive. I just sold my complete :/ needed some extra $

Quote Originally Posted by kamjongill View Post
    yea, the SCS3 has incredible capability for such a small controller and the touch is extremely accurate and responsive. I just sold my complete :/ needed some extra $
    they are very cool - and excellent midi implementation. i just have two scs.3d's, no scs.3m. picked them both up for about 50gbp each i think 2nd hand, tho one was basically brand new and the other as good as.

with the 3 colours of leds, 6 layer buttons and three different modes for the main area (never mind all the various led feedback patterns u can use) they're just so bloody flexible.

the downside of that is that i don't use them as much as i should as i haven't come up with the best way of using them yet i have code in midimasher that handles all the layers and led patterns so i don't use darouter. also means i have full control over what modes i want to use any layer for and how many layers i want... i did think of having a 10 layer map using the 6 buttons at the top plus the 4 around the circle area but that would be a bit insane...

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    they are very cool - and excellent midi implementation. i just have two scs.3d's, no scs.3m. picked them both up for about 50gbp each i think 2nd hand, tho one was basically brand new and the other as good as.

with the 3 colours of leds, 6 layer buttons and three different modes for the main area (never mind all the various led feedback patterns u can use) they're just so bloody flexible.

the downside of that is that i don't use them as much as i should as i haven't come up with the best way of using them yet i have code in midimasher that handles all the layers and led patterns so i don't use darouter. also means i have full control over what modes i want to use any layer for and how many layers i want... i did think of having a 10 layer map using the 6 buttons at the top plus the 4 around the circle area but that would be a bit insane...
    That was the one downside to me, it seemed like 1-step too many to get the desired function; having to always switch from mode to mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast