Mac mini for Tractor Scratch Pro using vinyl? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

touch screen would be cool for Traktor!
    They don't work that well for Traktor ... latency on regular touch screens tends to be on the high side and the Traktor screen controls don't really lend themselves to touch apart from some of the bigger buttons.

Regular resistive touch screens only allow for one finger input so unless you plan on shelling out for a really expensive screen or unless of course you are planning on touch OSC or Lemur for the iPad as a midi interface you're probably better off with a Nanokontrol for $50?

If it was that cool and worked well everyone would be doing it round here

@slainbybeats
    Sorry mate, just seems every "is it better" or "should I get" ends up in a 30 page Mac vs PC Flame war. Theres more than a few of em you can search for

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    They don't work that well for Traktor ... latency on regular touch screens tends to be on the high side and the Traktor screen controls don't really lend themselves to touch apart from some of the bigger buttons.

Regular resistive touch screens only allow for one finger input so unless you plan on shelling out for a really expensive screen or unless of course you are planning on touch OSC or Lemur for the iPad as a midi interface you're probably better off with a Nanokontrol for $50?

If it was that cool and worked well everyone would be doing it round here
    I agree with this. I was looking at getting an Ipad for backup and ended up buying a Dell All-in-One touch screen beacause it was the same price as an Ipad, 23" screen, and thinking that it would be cool to use on Traktor. The reality is that unless you decrease the resolution to make the button bigger it just doesn't work well. I also tried to get Emulator but that doesn't work either because Emulator only runs on a certain resolution that I don't have and its way too much trouble to try to get it. So now it looks pretty cool having a 23" screen and now my laptop is my back up.

I have also considered buying a mac mini that I could hook up to the 23" screen but honestly I haven't had any problems with the Dell to really warrant the purchase.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 04-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slainbybeats View Post
    Is there really such a big difference using a mac instead of a PC?
    Yep their is. People say theirs not but their is. I know from personal experience. They are not however crash proof every machine can crash just my mac never has.

*Bows out of thread before heated debate begins
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

oops

@sobi

if you sell your inspiron, let me know. I have a 2.4ghz socket a laying around that id like to put in it.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Brought a quad core i7 macmini a year ago, love it! I run Traktor scratch with the latency setting at 128, using rmx decks, fx and DVS while also running Maschine at 94 latency. Even with both program's being used and worked hard at the same time the Mini hasn't put a foot wrong once. Of course you loose the flexibility of a laptop but that's obvious........it's not a laptop.

I wanted a powerful computer so I went for a mini as a equivalent spec MacBook Pro would of cost twice as much. Its not ideal for gigs but my tired old 2008 white MacBook comes of the subs bench for that which is pretty much all I use my old MacBook for.

Despite it being a desktop computer it's obviously incredibly portable. The mini, keyboard, trackpad and power lead get chucked in a bag and go from home to girlfriends house to the studio. In the studio I have a scratch orientated dj setup with a 10inch touch screen monitor sitting flush in front of my mixer. Then when I want it to be usual computer I've got a desk and monitor setup ready for that at home.

Also unless you really don't need the extra power I'd highly recommend stretching to a quadcore. If your spending 600 an extra 70quid gets a quadcore mini, with the extra grunt it'll be a year or two more future proof.

*Just an idea*
    Get a Mac Mini, iPad and Audio 6/10 and create a script so that the Mac Mini, once it's turned on, starts Traktor Pro and creates a wireless network and is set up Screen Share or whatever it's called in English and use the iPad via VNC to control Traktor.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12