crossfader settings for scratching
    Tech Mentor

Default crossfader settings for scratching

Hey guys i have an s4 and will be getting a new set of turntables this weekend. I have never been on turntables before and was curious to what you set your crossfader settings to, in order to scratch.

Also i've read a lot about "bleeding crossfaders" should this be a concern for me on the s4? Since i'm starting out with turntables should i look to invest in an innofader?

Tech Mentor

hi, if you want to scratch set the crossfader to be sharper, its in the mixer preferences i think. Unless your going to be scratching all day every day, I think your fader will be fine Controller faders dont really bleed like a crossfader, I wouldnt worry about it
    TSP 2, S2, Audio 8, Maschine, 1210's, Launchpad, iPad, Nocturn 25, LPD8

www.audioj.webs.com S2 users check it out

www.JigAudio.webs.com Maschine goodness & other stuff

Tech Mentor

thanks for the quick reply. I see where you can adjust the sharpness on the preference menu, but how sharp do you want the crossfader to be when you scratch? should it be all the way to sharp or is there a general area that works best?

Tech Mentor

I find all the way sharp to be too sensitive, I like it just a little bit towards the middle, leave the preferences open and test it as you go
    TSP 2, S2, Audio 8, Maschine, 1210's, Launchpad, iPad, Nocturn 25, LPD8

www.audioj.webs.com S2 users check it out

www.JigAudio.webs.com Maschine goodness & other stuff

Tech Mentor

awesome thanks for the tip man i'll give it a go over saturday after i pick up my new gear.

Tech Student

How do you find the mixers settings is it in your pc and how do you find it[

Tech Mentor

It's in preference, mixer tab..anyway does the sharp setting affect the vertical fader plz?!

Tech Mentor

It does not affect the vertical faders. When scratching, you really want it to be as sharp as possible, especially if you're going to be doing any sharp cuts or stabs.

I can understand why you'd leave it on a shallower slope - scratches tend to over power a track. However, the better way to remedy this problem is with proper EQ'ing and level control.

"Bleeding" is only a problem with analogue mixers, as far as I'm aware. A bleeding crossfader will play, for example, deck A, even if the crossfader is slammed all the way into deck B. The S4 will not have this issue, and is fine for scratching, especially as a beginner. I wouldn't bother upgrading until you have the skills that require an innofader.
    Last edited by sss18734; 04-06-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Tech Mentor

Hum i don't know why? but i really think when i'm on sharp to the max, my vertical faders are affected and i saw that at club.. i'm a beginner and i've an innofader, i buy it because i don't want to loose my crossfader again...