Original or Remix for songs that have blown up?
    Tech Mentor

Default Original or Remix for songs that have blown up?

For example would you play the original version of Call Me Maybe or a remix?

Would you please be more specific ?
    Macbook Pro-Mixmeister Fusion-Traktor Pro 2-Audio 2

Not sure what your 'Call Me Maybe' is but if you stick to the principles of only playing boss and appropriate tunes then it don't matter, unless you want to be obvious or slightly alternative, which is of course entirely down to you and your judgement!
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

The punters are gonna recognise the original - so you can't go wrong with it.

BUT - a lot of the audience might not have heard the remix, and it would make them prick their ears up and maybe even look up at who's playing it. Hell - they might even come and ask you what it is.

It depends on what kind of DJ you are, and if you like taking risks. The risks sometimes bring rewards.

There is no reason not to play the intro and the first verse of the original, then mix into the chorus/bridge/verse of the remix, then back into the original again. All depends how creative you are/can be.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    The punters are gonna recognise the original - so you can't go wrong with it.

BUT - a lot of the audience might not have heard the remix, and it would make them prick their ears up and maybe even look up at who's playing it. Hell - they might even come and ask you what it is.

It depends on what kind of DJ you are, and if you like taking risks. The risks sometimes bring rewards.

There is no reason not to play the intro and the first verse of the original, then mix into the chorus/bridge/verse of the remix, then back into the original again. All depends how creative you are/can be.
    I totally agree with this; one thing I will add is that a lot of people who know the song will barely notice that it's a remix (unless it's radically different, like a brostep version of a gregorian chant). So you will probably still rope in the punters while bringing in other members of your audience who might be more interested in hearing something new.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan