Organizing your track library for Traktor

Default Organizing your track library for Traktor

How do you guys organize your files? What's the easiest way to be able to quickly change tracks with the VCI-100 without having to open many subfolders?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKokot View Post
    How do you guys organize your files? What's the easiest way to be able to quickly change tracks with the VCI-100 without having to open many subfolders?
    I've been spoiled with Traktor and Traktor-Final Scratch over the years, so I just use the playlist/ F-1 thru F-10 function. When I add new songs, I put them in a dated folder, then drag the individual songs into the appropiate playlists/crates. They may be for many different formats. This file stucture is not so good with other softwares that have 'sucky' browsers!

Yea i make various playlists, but i keep my stuff in in a complex folder system

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I organize my files:

Artist Folder: Album Folder: Track number Track Title

I make sure the tags are written now. I still have a few hundred files that are really old, before ID3 was normalized, and I need to re-rip. Then I just drop them in, and grid them. Then, in my COllection, I usually have it sorted by BPM cause, well, that's how I do this here thing :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

As we talked about earlier, I sort in buckets by date of purchase. Then offline I make playlists in Winamp (that I listen to continually at work), written on my Hipster PDA 3x5 cards, then later I and reconstruct them by hand as playlists under the "Mixes" folder in Traktor.

It's all about the sequences of tracks. Short 3- or 4-track pieces that work together. String a couple of them together and you have a mix.

I just make sure all the tags are filled out on my tracks. I hit f2 which is track collection... I think its everything I've analyzed in traktor. Then when the time comes... I click the sort by options at the top of the list (artist, song, bpm, genre) and choose the next song.

I also have a hotkey f5 to go directly to my music folder, incase its a new track I haven't analyzed yet... more or less like wbskates said.

Besides the regular ID3 entries, I use the "comments" section to further refine tracks using the search function (Peak, Climber, Retro, etc.) so that I can refine searches ("Tech House" "Intro") ("Near Peak" "Rock Guitar"). For me it's faster than scanning through a bunch of folders.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user