[Rant] I am a DJ; not a f***ing iPod - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's a house party, not a night club, people generally don't wanna hear club tunes at house parties, at least not at 9:30-11pm

I mean it sucks but is it really a surprise?

Considering you didn't get paid for the gig, I would have played whatever I wanted. Especially if you tried alot of genre's and nobody is dancing. Some party's are lame like that...
    Hardware: MBA 13" i7 | NI S4 | Maschine
    Software: TSP 2.5 | Live 8 | ZebraII | Massive | FM8 | Sylenth1

Tech Mentor

I always do the best to make as many people as possible dance while playing only the tracks that I like. With this approach, though, I have never failed to make at least one little peak-time moment during my DJ performance with a crowd of a considerable size. I think the crowd likes it better when the DJ is having fun for starters.
    Last edited by DJ MiCL; 04-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.

NewManSoon... Controversial statement there! lol, My main reason for Djing has always been to make people dance, and i think if you are getting paid for it the club owner has some right to say at least what genre you can play, I mean nobody wants to hear hard house at an RnB club, or tbh any club for that matter lol.

If you are playing at a party where you have made the effort to turn up with all your gear and not had any form of payment, beer, women or otherwise then nobody can demand what you play. On Friday I played at a tech/deep house night and got asked for Rihanna, then she complained at me because i wouldnt play it. Some people have no idea... A fellow DJ said to me once that the general public are morons. Sometimes i am inclined to agree!

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    It's a house party, not a night club, people generally don't wanna hear club tunes at house parties, at least not at 9:30-11pm

Totally agree. If this rant was taken from a club, who booked him to play club music, then I'd see it.

Otherwise your just someone who played some music at a party and they didn't like it, so what?
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Powwow View Post
    When I did use to care to play it, I would just go off of the top 10 lists for itunes.

Just pisses me off cause if you wanna hear that shit just turn on the radio. You'll hear your song played every 30 minutes LOL.
    Billboard Top 10, followed by a search of Beatport, iTunes, Soundcloud, etc to find a remix of the song that is tolerable.

Tech Guru

Yeah, would have been way better if you knew you were getting paid. That sucks.

Sometimes when I know nobody's paying attention I improvise and try to do something I've never done before. I have more fun that way.

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

+1
    Not necessarily aimed at the OP, but it seems a lot of people on this board treat house parties as debuts as the cities hottest new club. A house party is just a house party... nothing more, nothing less. If you play one, just go into it expecting nothing more than getting to play tunes a little louder than normal (if you can't get too loud at your own place), not quite as loud as at a club, and just having a fun time mingling with whoever is into the same shit. Everyone else in the place? probably not gonna give two shits about you, your skills, your tune selection, or what your "doing" as a DJ/Producer. If people get into it, great... bonus. If not? Par for the course.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalrebeluk View Post
    If you are playing at a party where you have made the effort to turn up with all your gear and not had any form of payment, beer, women or otherwise then nobody can demand what you play.
    Again, it's a house party. If they are the one that lives there, they can ask anything the want. If you go to play for someone you know is into what you do, that's even better. Sounds to me like you made a mistake of not knowing who you were playing for. Nothing wrong in doing that, but understand that it was just a mistake on your part since your not into what they want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast