[Rant] I am a DJ; not a f***ing iPod - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Oh yeah... anyone happen to know how or why the original post was edited by the mods?

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    +1
    Not necessarily aimed at the OP, but it seems a lot of people on this board treat house parties as debuts as the cities hottest new club. A house party is just a house party... nothing more, nothing less. If you play one, just go into it expecting nothing more than getting to play tunes a little louder than normal (if you can't get too loud at your own place), not quite as loud as at a club, and just having a fun time mingling with whoever is into the same shit. Everyone else in the place? probably not gonna give two shits about you, your skills, your tune selection, or what your "doing" as a DJ/Producer. If people get into it, great... bonus. If not? Par for the course.
    +2
    indeed. my first experience with a house party was a complete disaster: brought all my gear and then had a laptop failure (stuck F9 key ) which forced me to plug a friends USB drive with some trash '80 music and put it all on a playlist. poured myself a shot, danced my ass off that night and didn't give a shit

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Oh yeah... anyone happen to know how or why the original post was edited by the mods?
    I'm guessing the title was edited from "fucking" to "f***ing"...

That makes sense seeing how most everyones goal on this board is to DJ music in nightclubs... which you'd never hear foul language or see anything immoral happening.

Tech Mentor

First thing, go to Walmart or Target and buy yourself a $20 fold out table to put your gear on. Also buy a $100 facade so everyone doesn't see your gear and wires hanging. Going mobile you want to be as self contained as possible, which means all you have to get from the client is power. Being the DJ you have to understand that you are there for the party, the party isn't there for you. So unless you know going in that the people at this party are going to be into your kind of music, you need to prepare to play top 40 OR whatever type of music the people are into. Pop music is POPular for a reason, it is what the masses listen to. Go to any top 40 station's website and most of them have the top 20 most requested and their top 100 playlist. This is where belonging to a record pool comes in handy. If you can't play for the people that are there, then you shouldn't play. What will happen is you will be known as the DJ that didn't play what we wanted and thats not the impression you want to leave. Now this may have been 1 of those parties that no matter what you played no one would dance but you also can't expect to walk in like a rock star and think everyone is waiting for you and YOUR music.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 04-12-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by NewManSoon View Post
    Unless you are playing your OWN music, all DJ's are glorified iPods.
    Even if you're playing music you recorded yourself, all DJ's are glorified iPods.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

I hear you man, gigs like this just suck balls. There was one that I was given the day of. It was at my school. They wanted music to be played during a girls basketball practice thing. I called my boss after school and said I couldn't come in. He was ok with it...so I miss 3 hours of work, or $27. I go home for an hour, practice a bit/ polish my music selection and head back, carrying 2 backpacks, my RMX in one arm and my APC40 in the other. I also wheeled 2 giant ass speakers one at a time from the music wing to the gym which is a fucking trek, had it all set up and shit. I was ready to rip. What ACTUALLY happened?? I got constantly waved at to turn the music down, mostly cuz the main coaches tot was in his arms and probably worried about the little shit crying or something. I could barely hear myself playing, only had the soft thud of the subs to listen to. ..didn't thank me when he said good night to the 30 or so parents that showed up, non of which remotely acknowledged I was there. He came up afterwards and said "i think the girls got a kick out of it". I played it nice, but I would have told him off right there for wasting my time if I was in the slightest dis grunted mood. MORAL OF THE STORY. Take as many gigs as you can, even the free ones, but writing some off never hurts.
    Last edited by NotSoSiniSter; 04-10-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    I'm guessing the title was edited from "fucking" to "f***ing"...
    yeah, dont do that.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    Being the DJ you have to understand that you are there for the party, the party isn't there for you.
    THIS ^^^^^

I see so many posts on here about people whining about having a bad experience at a house party..... I mean it's a good learning experience, I did it when I was younger too, lugged my decks and records only to get continual complaints about the sort of music I was playing (was a lot harder to just play pop music back then, you either had the records or you didn't) .... You either stop playing at house parties or learn to play what the majority want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalrebeluk View Post
    A fellow DJ said to me once that the general public are morons.
    this fellow is a major DOUCHE. People with this attitude need to get off their high chair, they are only a DJ not some superior being
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123