Using the Akai APC40 primarily with Traktor Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Using the Akai APC40 primarily with Traktor Pro

I have just recently fallen for Traktor Pro and am now officially a Traktor Pro convert from Scratch Live. Traktor Pro is just so much more fun, and it allows you to open up your sets for more knob twisting, slider pushing fun that Scratch Live just doesn't have. I used to think that you had to be able to beatmatch two records for 5 minutes straight to be a "real Dj". I can, but i'm over that now...... Who wants to spend their time keeping two records tight when they can be twisting knobs?? !! I'm now considering selling my pristine 1200Mk2's and Scratch Live setup, but that's another story......

I am currently using my Behringer DDM4000 mixer and NanoPad for Midi control of Traktor Pro.

I was initially planning on buying the Vestax VCI-100 to use with my mixer, but am now leaning towards the Akai APC40.

It just seems that there are more sliders and of course BUTTONS, that can control Traktor Pro on the APC40 without the need for shifting modes. I am really only concerned about FX control and deck transport control with the APC40, as I will have the DDM4000 to control EQ and levels. It seems like the APC40 will allow 4 deck control with ease and without having to toggle to get to C and D. In fact, it will probably be overkill to use the DDM4000, APC40 and NanoPad together, but it should be fun.

The only thing I will miss on the APC40 is the cool Jog Wheel FX you can do on the VCI-100. BUT, I have found that you can do those same Jog Wheel FX on sliders, which I am currently doing now on my DDM4000.

It seems to me that the APC40 will be the upcoming and preferred unit to use with Traktor Pro.

Opinions?
    Last edited by JCribb; 05-08-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Don't be steeling my ideas now.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

i am waiting for the apc40 to use with traktor just like you guys. any mapping finished yet? i actually would love two apc40's ;D

is it regular midi btw.? would make mapping easier than with HDI or whatever.

Mappings aren't finished, as they aren't available at the moment(as far as I know).

Also normal/regular MIDI.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tech Guru

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone know if the APC40 really only ships with a limited version of Live 7 and if that is so if there are plans to upgrade it to a limited Live 8? To me the feature limitations of the APC40 are not so big when used in a DJing setup, which would make the APC40 a steal, since you get an awesome controller along with Live for a very low price.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Well the limited version of 7 is now called Live LE. No version numbering.

As far as I know, this will remain.

Tech Guru

So it will ship with Ableton Live LE 8? or Live LE is a cut down version of Live 7 and there is no cut down version of Live 8?
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

It comes with its own version of live which is halfway between Live LE and Live 8 in terms of functionality.

Tech Guru

Ok. But is it based on Live 8 minus some stuff or is it based on Live LE plus some stuff? The question is mainly if I use this version, will it feel like Live 8 but simply be limited. Or does it feel more like working inside a limited Live 7?

LE is based on Live 7, but, it also comes with a universal upgrade for Ableton Live 7 and 8 as to unlock some extras for the APC.

Are we already confusing you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast