Question about your FX usage ?

Default Question about your FX usage ?

Hello everyone,

I got a question about your FX-use : Do you sometimes use for example an effect on track A and B at the same time ? And then use another secundary effect on channel A, but not on B.

It may seam a weird question but i'm thinking about a custom mapping and it has effect on how I want to map things. And I don't have any FX-experience yet, so I ask you, do you ever do such things or not ?

Yeah, and I would bet that it's pretty regular that others do to.

For example, I may have a filter on Deck A with a Delay on A and B.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

i don't tend to - tho a delay or kind of echo (if u use the postfader fx hack) can be nice on both tracks at the same time.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Thanks for your quick replies !

Well, using the filter is not a problem in my mapping plan since it always has a dedicated knob and doesn't take up an fx-unit.
    I was more thinking about for example : a rhythmic effect (beatmasher, gater, slicer, ...) on both decks and an extra reverb on deck B. Or would you rather use the reverb also on both decks.

Or if you have other ideas ...

some people prefer to use the filter in an effect unit as they say it sound much better - so then does use an effects unit ofc.

i may sometimes choose to use an effect like delay/echo on both decks but i'd never create a mapping that *only* allowed an effect to be applied to both decks at the same time.

personally i think that 99% of the time effects are best used on one deck at a time anyway. but maybe i need to experiment more... i certainly would only use something like the beatmasher or beatslicer on one deck atm, tho gator/filter/delay could be effective on more than one - tho i'd still probably use separate effects units so i can tweak them differently per deck.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

It's been a while and have been experimenting with ableton and i really like there effects more than traktor's. So i route traktor into ableton and now i'm thinking about different setups :

1) a sort of DJM900 + Rmx1000 copy :
    a series of one knob effects (filter, reverb, gater, bit crusher, beatrepeat ...) per channel and one bigger effects unit (with 3 sections : rythmic effects fx, build up/down effects and release effects) which u can assing to any channel you want

2) a sort of Xone DB4 copy :
    every channel his own seperate effects unit (not assignable) (would you miss to use one effect on two channels at once)

Wich would you prefer for DJ'ing (not live sets) and why ? It's basicly a sort of DJM900 vs DB4 where the effects sound the same and the only difference is the way they work.