Getting a starter controller, what to look for?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Getting a starter controller, what to look for?

Hey,

I´ve been looking to get a starting controller for a while now, everyone have their opinion which makes me even more confused.. But, what am I to look for? What are the main factors?

I have heard a lot about how some controllers are dated, but what makes them dated? They have all the functions you need and is working with todays software.

I know I want to start working with the Traktor software, but I'm on a tight budget and just simply want a controller that covers the stuff I would need to become a Bedroom-DJ...

Well
    1) maybe what you can do with the controller example dj to go. you can do the basics: Stop,cue,play. maybe one with a built in sound card. You can look for one that dose most of the basics like has eq nobs, jog wheel, and that would be like the mixtrack.
    2) I'm new to djing and have no idea
    3) Whats your budget? - if its around $250 i would go with the mixtrack pro

Tech Convert

I could go for the mixtrack but I rather not, I would like to go for something cheaper due to my budget, I just don't want to spend to much on something I might not continue on doing... But what makes the Mixtrack so good except for the jogwheels (which I don't really care about)? I can compare the Mixtrack to alot of other controllers, it has the same functions both made of plastics, can be used with the same software etc, what makes the Mixtrack so much better? :O I'm looking for more than a DJ to GO, I want the 3 band EQ, hot ques, some effects and looping ofc, more than that, Is there anything else a controller would need? Or could get? :S Thanks for your replies!

Low low budget controller : Hercules mp3 e2.
    I think you can't go cheaper.
    Or you should search for second hand gear
    What's your budget?
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Tech Convert

Up to around 150 I think, I just need a controller that have what I need to start. Do you know the difference between controllers? I mean if controller A and B would have the same functions, no build in soundcard, alike construction, what else is different between them? Why would one of them be better than the other?

as CionniAsDj says it really depends on budget. just checked and ebay in the uk has mixtracks new for not much over 100gbp so not sure how much cheaper u want to go. if u don't care about jogs then all u really *need* is a set of buttons and pots/faders. ideally u also want a soundcard as well that you can monitor your mix out of separately from the main outs, but u could always get an addon soundcard later.

the icon idj does a lot for the money. quality isn't awesome but it does have pretty decent jogs (for what they're worth to u)

i've had some fun mixing two decks in traktor with nothing more than an akai lpd8. not designed to be a dj controller but for the money gives u 8 decent pads + 8 pots to map and has multiple banks.

i've heard some pretty decent things said about the hercules e2 - given how cheap it is. looking 2nd hand isn't a bad idea either...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

I understand it is about the budget, I would like to go as low as possible as long as i get a controller that can give me the functions I may need for now. My main question is just what differense is it from controller to controller? is it all about the functions and construction or is there something else?

build and quality of the controls is the first thing, but that isn't going to matter if u just want something to try out and aren't bothered how long it lasts for. just be more careful on a cheaper controler

you get far less controls on some controllers. for just starting out maybe the minimum is all u need but if u do get into it you'll soon be wanting extra buttons for mapping more hotcues, loops, various instant effects so u can get to them quickly, full control over all effects units maybe, control over sample decks or the new remix decks and/or the loop recorder. the list goes on and on...

stripping it all back to basics u don't even *need* a controller if u just want to experiment. u can map your keyboard to controls in traktor or vdj, use your mouse to load tracks and u already said u don't want jogs (personally i love jog wheels)

if i were u i would think about downloading the free version of vdj and/or mixxx and trying them out just using your computer keyboard and mouse and take it from there. no cash wasted then if u don't like it...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Convert

So basicly it comes down to the number of buttons at last I guess and its not that i dont want jogwheels, its just that it isnt that important for me Well I have tried different programs and have been messig around with it, its just that playing around with the keyboard is first of all rly hard and secondly, I get no feeling at all, and when I dont have a second soundcard yet it gets boring becaus i dont get any good results from my speakers since i cant try stuff out for myself first But have I gotten this right, when it comes down to it, the main differense is the number of command possibilities? I mean I hear a lot like "that controller is old and outdated" do they mean the soundcard then and not the midi-controller itself with its commands ment ofc?

main diff are build quality of the overall unit, how good the feel of the faders and pots are (there can be big differences there), the feel/response of the buttons and overall how many controls it has. there can also be a massive difference in sound quality if looking at controllers with builtin soundcards.

some controllers have a much better midi implementation than others, builtin "banks" and also how well u can control the led colours of the controls as well as what colours u can select and other options like whether it has the option for builtin blinking or not etc etc

some controllers offer touch strips as well as other controls and the quality of jogs differs massively from one controller to the next as well as whether they are "touch sensitive" or not, i.e: whether just touching them sends out any commands to your software or whether u need to actually move them before anything happens.

digital dj'ing is too new for many controllers to really be "outdated". in some ways the vci100 is but only because it was once the best of the best, now it is lacking compared to the newer high end controllers.

at the end of day u (mostly) get what u pay for... my first dj controller was a cheapo hercules console mk2, which has pretty nasty buttons and very laggy non touch sensitive jogs, but it does the job *and* has a half decent soundcard builtin. i went for that first as i used to dj with technics 1200's years ago and wanted to see if i wanted to dig deeper into the whole digital/midi thing or not. i've since dug quite a bit deeper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast