Need Help Getting started
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Need Help Getting started

Ok so I am getting into the DJ business, and I am just wanting to see what all I need. I will be doing remixes and dubstep so if that helps you out any, but anyway I have like a $4000 budget!

Tech Wizard

check out dubspot.com
    Macbook 13"/ Traktor s2/Mixmeister/fruity loops..........Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars. And until you get the one you want, I hope you'll stay with the station of the stars(CASEY KASEM/KRLA).........http://bit.ly/JorTLg

Well first decide on the basics

Are you trying to dj and produce? if so i garutee there going to tell you to go with abelton.
    If djing chose your software : Traktor, Serato, Vitraul Dj, Etc...

After thease are awnserd we can give you more information on equitment.

Banned

I use traktor but i just went to guitar center and played around with serato that they have hooked up.
    Hands down it is AMAZING also. I wish i had the extra money for that exact setup. Just play around with different programs and find the one you love.

Forget that! You have a $4000 budget? Get all the gear lol.

Are you wanting to use a laptop with controllers? Cdjs or turntables? DVS? Are you looking for a full PA system and lights? You tell us what you are thinking, point us in the right direction, and you will get some help. If you tell us you have a $4000 budget, you are going to get a whole list of gear, and would be in the same position as if you searched "dj gear" in google (which you should do as well)
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Student

I am wanting to do both, but I am leaning more towards the producer side. But I am not going to be doing any lights or anything. I am ordering Macbook Pro tomorrow so all I need is what you guys say I need.
    Last edited by IamLife; 04-14-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Tech Mentor

If you're leaning to the producer side, get that Macbook Pro, either Logic Pro or Ableton Live Suite, a 49 key midi keyboard, Native Instruments Massive, and some studio monitors. That should fit well within your budget.

Get one thing at a time; and learn it before getting the next. You'll be less likely to blow your stack of cash on stuff you don't need/can't use. If you're producing, all you need is some kind of DAW (Ableton perhaps, as this is also pretty good for live sets) and perhaps a cheapo MIDI keyboard. You don't need studio monitors at this point if you've got a hi-fi, save them for when you've actually written something half-decent and you need to mix it down properly.

Similarly, don't spend $3000 on Tech12s or CDJ2000s and the latest Pioneer DJ mixer. You might decide a month down the line that you prefer digital photography. Get a cheap hands-on mixer controller, something like the S2 (comes bundled with Traktor Pro). You can get the basics down on that, and once you decide to get something a bit better, you might find you actually have some idea about what to spend cash on...

Look at it this way... you don't seem to have any idea about what to get at the moment, so now is probably the worst time to spend all your money. Get involved, and get learning first.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Student

I bought this cheap for $200. Can anyone tell me what it does and if it was worth the money I spent.2012-04-15_13-22-28_282.jpg It is a Yamaha AW4416

Look into getting an Akai APC40 if you want to produce. Best advice was already mentioned - get one thing at a time, and learn it well before moving on. In the DJ world $4000 can go far, but it can also go fast so you have to look at the value. I see a ton of DJ's with 4 controllers and they dont use half of them.

With the new laptop, an APC on ableton, sound card, speakers and headphones will go a long way

If you want to DJ parties and clubs, that 4k could go much faster. controllers, lights and speakers add up quick
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast