Jail breaking an apple tv

Default Jail breaking an apple tv

Can someone tell me what jail breaking an apple tv will do for me?
    I have done some reading but get conflicting info. I've read it does as little as allowing you to view media in formats other then what apple locks it to, to as much as unlocking tv, sports channels, Netflix for free.
    Thanks in advance.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

Wondering the same.

Tech Wizard

Jailbreaking your Apple TV allows you to basically run code that Apple doesn't want you to. For instance, once you jailbreak it, you can have access to "alternative" app stores (google "Cydia") to increase functionality and add features that don't exist on the original Apple TV.

You can also install other firmware on it such as XBMC. The instructions are here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._on_Apple_TV_2

It is a great way to increase functionality. You can view basically any media file you want on XBMC & have access to streaming video sites such as Netflix. The best part of it is that is all free and runs very, very smoothly with a great UI. Plus if you have iPhone or similar device, you can use it as a remote for XBMC. . .I highly recommend it.

Edit: Here's a nice youtube vid about XBMC!

The video shows how to set it up, but doesn't really explain much about what it will actually do for you.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's