BeatCleaver: Make loops and DJ samples for your sample decks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default BeatCleaver: Make loops and DJ samples for your sample decks

Hi guys,

What are you guys using to make samples for your sampler decks? Does everyone just use loop packs or what?

I've just released an updated version of my sampling tool called BeatCleaver, and I think it might be useful for a lot of DJs here. This new version adds support for slicing from MP3 and M4A files, fluid zoom, and slicing songs by fixed bar or beat intervals.

I've tried to make this a handy tool for sampling from songs, so you can find loops and save them for use in sampler decks for when you DJ later. (Edit: clarified the previous sentence) I'm very much looking for feedback to see if this is useful for DJs and how good the workflow is. If you're interested, please grab a copy of the trial and let me know how BeatCleaver works for you!

There's a bunch of different ways you can use this as a DJ:

1) If you're still using Audacity for cutting stuff up, you know how frustrating the UI can be. Navigation and previewing loops is way easier in BeatCleaver.

2) You can grab loops from songs and build up a collection of loops to use later in your sampler decks in Traktor, Mixxx, or Virtual DJ.

3) If you've written a song and you want to resequence it live, you can do a multi-track export from your DAW/tracker/etc and then slice up the tracks every X bars with BeatCleaver. I used to write stuff in energyXT2 and there was no sane way to export my tracks so I could remix them live in Renoise. Now there is!

I've also got (edit: had!) two free copies to give out to the first two people who try it out and post some feedback here. Update: That was quick... I've contacted the two members who posted feedback first, thanks for the support guys!

Thanks guys, and I appreciate any feedback you have!
    Albert

P.S. Moderators - I hope this type of post is OK, please let me know if it's not!
    Last edited by gamegod; 04-16-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: clarification, round 2!

What do you mean while djing, can you do it on the fly ? cause that would be sick.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy View Post
    What do you mean while djing, can you do it on the fly ? cause that would be sick.
    Ah, sorry for the confusion. You can't do it on the fly - it's more something you would do before your set.

Would it be useful to do it on the fly? I thought about maybe hacking up something that could grab songs from Mixxx's main decks, let you slice it, and then throw it to the sampler decks. I'm not really sure what the ideal workflow for that would be or what cool tricks you could pull off with it...

Thanks!

2) if you're DJing live with Traktor you can grab loops easily - with just Traktor
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Ahhh, alright. No for me, i dont have time to prepare for mixes, i just go with the flow.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    2) if you're DJing live with Traktor you can grab loops easily - with just Traktor
    ahhhhh I fail at writing hard today... I just reworded that, hopefully it's a bit clearer. Thanks for pointing that out. I need help today.

Ok, good to know mr.drumer.boy! I'll keep thinking about ways we could approach a more spontaneously workflow for live performance....

Downloading this now, I'm going to play with it tonight and post some feedback. I hate using audacity for making loops and samples, so I'm kinda excited about this.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

I would like to share with you, I found some good dj samples (click) free samples to try.
    You can download free samples and create your tracks

Best sample making program I've used. Period.

So quick and easy to use. Intuitive, and I really like the scroll wheel zoom.

Set the start, click the stop, export. So simple. Really nice job dude! What would make it even better? Colored waveforms like Traktor. But, VERY well done.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

Just downloaded so will give some feedback when I've had a play about!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast