What is best?!

Thread: What is best?!

Tech Student

Default What is best?!

So this how it is,

I've been involved in deejaying for about 3 years now and it is now that I realize I wanted to take it seriously. The last two years I've been doing massive research about what to get, whats the most trusted brand, whats best for me, etc., and had late night discussions with some of my friends that know about this industry in a more professional level. I had use CDJ's/DJM 2000 borrowed from some of my friends before and they always work perfectly for me as well as some of their MIDI controllers. The first controller I bought (and still have) was the Numark Mixtrack Pro and surprisingly it has work great for the small parties, but now I want something a little more professional club-wise. Its very obvious that Pioneer is the industry standard DJ brand for most of the clubs out there and their controllers are definitely not bad, but from the research I've done it is very true when people say that they are basically new at the "MIDI controller market" and there are very strong competitors that where there before.

As my friends say "If your gonna take deejaying seriously, you might as well just buy the industry standard (CDJ's/DJM's)", the thing is that (from my experience) the only clubs that work that way are the big ones that are 21+ but I'm still not 21 so that rule STILL doesn't apply for me (correct me if I'm wrong), so right now a MIDI controller is what's best (for now). The ones that I have my eye on are Pioneer DDJ-S1/T1, Kontrol S4 and Xone: DX. Software is not a problem for me I've use Serato ITCH and Traktor and for me they both work well, the only prop I give Traktor over Serato ITCH is that (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't use ITCH with any other controller besides the one it came with and with Traktor you can map it with anything you want even CDJ's if I even decide to use it in the future. And people tell me "well if you use ITCH and move to CDJ's change to SSL" but the thing is that then I will have to spend about $600 in a Sertao Box in order for me to use it, when I can just buy Traktor and use it with both my CDJ's and my controller. With Traktor is a 1 time investment and I really like that.

What I'm trying to say is that besides the software and the layout (big or small, etc.) what would be the best investment to make that will open my doors to a more professional level in the "DJ world"? I can go with the Pioneer controllers and get used to the industry standard layout, but don't have the best in/out-puts or I can go with the S4 or the DX but maybe in the future people (club owners, etc.) don't take me seriously because they think what I have is a DJ toy. I need your help, and sorry for the long post.

P.S = Even if I buy a Serato ITCH controller I will still buy Traktor Pro 2 to map it with. (Ex. Xone: DX)

IMO: I don't like that much the DX, i'll stick for s4 or pioneer, anyway, s4 has already a tp2 serial, and is highly integrated in traktor, never used this pioneer controller anyway.
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Tech Student

Ok, but which one do you think has better in/out-puts, and which one do you think would be taken more seriously?

Honestly man, if you want to be taken "seriously" it comes down to skill. Look what controllers best suit your needs. Do you want big platters to scratch? More FX based controller? Something you can map to any DJ software? Answer those questions, and we can help you more!

A friend of mine last week played with a girl DJ in a club, she DJ also during fashion week in Milan, with very huge brand.
    My friend used a small Hercules and small akay keyboard with a audio 2.
    The look like a toy, but he did great, and all the other big name DJ were doing compliments, so yes, I agree with previous post
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Tech Student

I understand. I had that same discussion with one of my friends back at home and if it was for personal preference I would go for the Xone: DX and map it to Traktor. But I'm trying to think in long terms here. Is not that I know whats going to happen in the future is just that I prefer to make an investment that will contribute to it. So, if now in all the professional clubs the only thing they use is CDJ's and DJM's 2000 etc., the way to go for me is to buy a DDJ-T1 and thats it, but then again is not the best build controller quality-wise and doesn't have the yes in/out-puts. THAT is my confusion.

Tech Student

(... the best* in/out-puts.)

Don't worry about clubs equipment, you can plug your controller up virtually anywhere.

You'd have a hard time fitting a DDJ-T1 into any existing club setup, the thing is huge. I love it for use at home, but it's far from portable.

What I generally do is leave it at home take my Audio 6 and use the clubs gear. I'd take 2 x 1200s or CDJ2000s over any controller on the market (Just a personal preference, it's how I learnt)

The T1 makes it very easy to transition onto most Pioneer CDJs because it feels very similar.