Dj'ing at underage parties-- opinion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Dj'ing at underage parties-- opinion

Hey guys!

After my long journey starting this past November I have (basically) a complete DJ setup! Laptop, Traktor Pro 2, Vestax Vci-100SE, V-moda headphones, (gonna pick up a soundcard real quick on ebay soon), and behold... I am getting a used in great condition matrix b-52 1000v2 pa system! FOR ONLY $300! And to think I almost paid $500 for a really crappy beat up one a month ago.

So Anyway I am 18 and about to graduate high school in a month. I won't be spinning until after I graduate but I will most likely have a ton of gigs to do like friends grad parties, birthday parties and... underage drinking parties that have no parents at them.

I'm not gonna lie, I will still dj underage drinking parties almost no matter what people say here because the truth of it is that if I wasn't dj'ing the party, I would be there drinking anyway. I am perfect with resisting drugs/alcohol when I need to (such as driving, early wake up) and I told myself that I would not be drinking while I mix.

Our law enforcement is pretty lax with things like teen parties, as long as there's no complaints from neighbors or passer-by-ers. They have never (knock on wood) busted into a house starting arresting people. That isn't to say they aren't strict. Early in the year they busted a party (someone called in a complaint) and arrested 30 minors from my school at once. Another neighboring city had a party busted (don't know the reason) and the cops there arrested nearly 80 minors on new years eve!

So the parties that I would be at are always pretty small; usually around 20 or 30 but some go up to 50 or so. But I was wondering what (in your opinion) the ramifications are if a party I was dj'ing at, got busted by the local police. If I blew zero's and didn't get called from a noise complaint what would they charge me with? I'm guessing possession bc they are supposed to do that by law, but do you think there's a chance their mindset is "okay here's a good sober kid, only providing an entertainment service to everyone, really not causing harm." Or would they just group me with the rest of the chums?

I have never gotten in trouble before (knock-knock) and I am graduating at the top of my class, so the community knows that I have good intentions. Just hoping they would give me a warning if something like this did happen; opinions?

This really couldn't have less to do with DJing, you might as well just be asking if you'll still get in trouble at a party by not drinking.

A community of DJs seems like a strange place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by zero15ny View Post
    This really couldn't have less to do with DJing, you might as well just be asking if you'll still get in trouble at a party by not drinking.

A community of DJs seems like a strange place to go.
    that being said: buy a flight case so you can leave faster if shit hits the fan

21 is a dumb-ass drinking age. 18 is plenty old enough to drink IMO but that's just a cultural difference thing. I don't understand what crime anyone would be charged with for drinking at a private party? Surely the law only applies to licensed premises and purchasing alcohol.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    21 is a dumb-ass drinking age. 18 is plenty old enough to drink IMO but that's just a cultural difference thing. I don't understand what crime anyone would be charged with for drinking at a private party? Surely the law only applies to licensed premises and purchasing alcohol.
    am not to sure but I think underage drinkers get charged in the states. And thats why the op is a bit conscious of what he's doing.

and 21 sucks for a drinking age. :beer:

Banned

yeah id rather be 16 again rather then 21.

im 21 right now, shits boring. Still haven't went to a bar or club and drank.

But in high school hell yeah drinking was the shit, saw bitches get naked, saw bitches puke in the dryer lol.

High school partys wereeee DOPE SON

if the cops are jerks and you are difficult you can get slapped with a noise complaint, in australia it used to be $500 when I was at school... I got 3 LOL....

If you have unruly behavior when the cops break up your party (fights) they can impound your system which happened to a mate, he could pick it up the next day and got a noise pollution fine...

If you do get a fine try to keep people there by playing tunes quietly for half an hour... it usually takes the cops an hour to come back In that half an hour send around a collection to pay for the fine, you usually get enough for half, and make sure if there is any dealers there you get cash of them cause they owe you for bringing the entertainment
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Publicservice View Post
    that being said: buy a flight case so you can leave faster if shit hits the fan
    So that's why it's called a "flight" case; I thought it had something to do with airplanes...
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Banned

el oh el.

grab gear, go out window.

High School parties are wonderful. I've DJed a few, and if I wasn't DJing I'd have more than a couple of drinks. I don't have more than 2 or 3 if I'm being paid.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast