Options for cueing with vci-100
    Tech Convert

Default Options for cueing with vci-100

Hi,
    this might be a really stupid question but i just want to know exactly how to cue through headphones with an external soundcard?

I am going to buy a vci-100 and i just want to know exactly what i need to do when i get it. Do i have to have an external sound card with a headphone jack? or can go from the sound card to an external mixer and use the headphones from the mixer?

I watched eangolden's video about soundcards and he recommended the m-audio quattro and i found one for sale second hand, but i couldnt see a headphone jack on it so how do i use the quattro for cueing.

I was thinking i could plug the quattro into an external mixer and then use the headphones from the mixer but wouldn't that mean i would have to use the mixers faders instead of the vci's if i wanted to hear anything in my headphones?

I would acually like to be able to use a mixer that way i can also plug in turntables or cd players and switch between them.

Basically i just want to know my options on how i can set up my laptop with a vestax vci-100 and be able to cue songs through headphones. also if i can cue songs with an external mixer.

thanks

Tech Convert

Wait a sec. Would i just be able to use the internal soundcard of my lap top for cueing and the quattro for master? is this a good idea?

I'm using virtual dj at the moment but will probably start with traktor once i get the vci-100

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The Quattro has one 1/4" headphone out, according to this site.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

according to this website:http://emusician.com/recording/emusi...o_duo_quattro/

the quattro has "two headphone sends"

you are right in thinking you could plug your headphones into the soundcard when mixing internally, and that you would plug your headphones into the mixer when you are mixing externally. then it would be a matter of setting up the audio routing in the dj program you are using.

to answer your question about using your internal soundcard and the quattro, yes it can be done, check out asio4all, that's what you would need. I would strongly recommend using the quattro or whatever soundcard you get only, as your latency is going to be higher and your stability lower if you run both the soundcards at the same time with asio4all.

a fair amount of people prefer using an external mixer and mixing outside the box, including me. I just feel very at home with a real mixer under my command. it really frees up a tons of controls on the vci-100 for other things like efx.

Tech Convert

Oh the way read it i thought only the duo had headphone sends.

Duo Specifications

Inputs: (2) balanced XLR mic with switched 48V phantom power; (2)unbalanced ¼" line (+4 dBu or -10 dbV)

Outputs: (2) balanced ¼" (+4 dBu or -10 dBV); (1) ¼" headphone

Quattro Specifications

Inputs: (4) balanced ¼" (+4 dBu or -10 dBV)

Outputs: (4) balanced ¼" (+4 dBu or -10 dBV)

So if i get the quattro i will be able to use headphones with it? either with or without an external mixer?

Yeah, it appears I'm illiterate. This is what I get for moderating when I get to work.

Regardless, you can set any of those 1/4" outs to be headphone outs, I believe.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Yeah, it appears I'm illiterate. This is what I get for moderating when I get to work.

Regardless, you can set any of those 1/4" outs to be headphone outs, I believe.
    haha.. Oh okay. So the quattro will work?

I believe so
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall