You do realize

Thread: You do realize

Tech Mentor

Default You do realize

This kind of relates to the Zedd on sync topic

If you have not realized it yet then here it is and argue all you want this is not an opinion but a fact

Djing to us is art, all the hours spent practicing our mixes, planning sets and everything in between yes its all art to us DJ's. To the crowd that is all summed up as entertainment. Its all one big popularity dance of hands.

So can we stop being a boys club where Analog Dj's think their dicks are bigger than Digital Dj's. We all have different skill sets but thinking that because you are Analog you should be entitled to a gig over a Digital Dj using the sync button is wrong.

Its not your skill that gets you in the door but your popularity then and only then does your skill matter and if you are not entertaining to your audience then your skills will not save you from being kicked off of your decks or emptying a dance floor. We are not paid because we can beatmatch we are paid because we know how to play music in a way that it is entertaining and enjoyable to listen to. Believe it or not that Dj who is spinning top 40 with basic mixing skills he may be far more entertaining to a crowd than a Dj who is playing music he likes and is not accessible by the crowd.

Also the mindset that you are going to DJ the music you like to educate a crowd is very dangerous as is illustrated by the whole Dennis Ferrer incident. Knowing your venue and crowd is very important because this ultimately determines what you will be playing that night. Imaging if David Guetta showed up to a wedding and started spinning like it was ultra I'm sure the groom and bride will be pissed unless that is what they paid for.

So when you are looking at those big name Dj's saying they can't even mix remember they are not being paid because of great mixing skills nope they are being paid 10,000 plus because they are entertaining that large crowd with their productions that is why that crowd is assembled not to hear them mix the latest EDM gerne nope their productions. If David Guetta showed up to ultra and played all new hip hop because that is what he was feeling at the moment what do you think would happen I know it would not be pretty.

So think about that next time you get a gig to play at what are they paying you for to see you create a live mashup with dubstep or are they paying you because they trust your ability to entertain a crowd with music that crowd can access mentally .

...And you really thought you needed to make a new topic to say that?
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

i intentionally create sync button train wrecks , turn the bass all the way down , the trebble all the way up, and start scratching with snap and quant enabled. the girls run for the doors and the guys throw beers at me. the club owners act like they dont like this , but i believe they really do. this is what im paid for!
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    i intentionally create sync button train wrecks , turn the bass all the way down , the trebble all the way up, and start scratching with snap and quant enabled. the girls run for the doors and the guys throw beers at me. the club owners act like they dont like this , but i believe they really do. this is what im paid for!
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.....and this /endthread.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

???? That Zedd thread was closed because of this debate, and now it open under a different title?

Therefore I say, IBTL.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If a mod closes a thread DO NOT start another thread with the same topic.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x