Are CDJs here to stay? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

plus having cd support is just a good backup plan anyway... i'm sure any big club will have something cdj-ish in for a long time to come - certainly no controllers - but hopefully factor in the space to allow dj's to plug in extra kit if they want to. they'll keep adding features to the cdj's anyway until they can do all that our laptops and software can.

i like the idea of some kind of builtin computer with tough screen etc but a cdj is only really a kind of computer+controller and most dj's are going to expect them to be there.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

It wouldn't cost much to put a minidisc slot in there either but they're not going to do that. CDs are a dying medium, it's undeniable. No one buys music on CD any more and DJs only burn them because the clubs have CDJs.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    It wouldn't cost much to put a minidisc slot in there either but they're not going to do that.
    That reminds me I have a few recordings I need to transfer to digital

Quote Originally Posted by dj noriddim View Post
    pioneer as a company has taken on midi controll in the 850-2000 range of mixers and cdj 900-2000. Now after using the djm 2000 in midi mode in its entirety i will say that all that is left for pioneer to due is include a sync button create a stable software platform based around rebox take a cue from stanton and incorperate a large touch screen into a larger layout to display decks and wave form info and overcharge ridiculously for it and ram it down everyone's throat with a multimillion dollar marketing campaign and they will have the new club standard
    ftfy
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    It wouldn't cost much to put a minidisc slot in there either but they're not going to do that. CDs are a dying medium, it's undeniable. No one buys music on CD any more and DJs only burn them because the clubs have CDJs.
    You're forgetting that there's an entire world that isn't England or America, many of which places legally require the originally purchased CD to be played by a DJ with a license to do so.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    You're forgetting that there's an entire world that isn't England or America, many of which places legally require the originally purchased CD to be played by a DJ with a license to do so.
    And what about digital only tracks? Or tracks released on promo? I would have to say that the world of EDM music is largely NOT CD based now.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    what a bunch of crap. The entire world burns digital downloads to a cd, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    what a bunch of crap. The entire world burns digital downloads to a cd, you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
    someone just last week said that legally they could only play stuff actually from a bought cd. not going to be the case anywhere in europe or the usa ofc - but don't know so much about other places...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

as stated before, the biggest names use cdjs so thats what will be the standard. its that simple. and its just common sense to believe a controller can never be a club standard due to the fact that its too personal. everyone and their mother knows that every single midi controller is unique to its owner. different mappings for every button, knob, fader, etc make it far too complex a machine to make "standard" equipment. then there are the cats who use more than one controller, and that just puts things over the edge more. CDJs and a mixer? now thats simple, effective, and has been proven to work. and i dont even use CDJs im a proud s4 owner. it just doest make sense that CDJs get booted out for controllers at this point in the club standard side of things

Why would pioneer need to do anything other than just remove the cd drive from their machines? There is nothing easier than turning up to a venue with 1 or 2 thumb drives! No club install pc required, no laptop, no dj own controllers and no cd wallet. Just one thumb drive to use and one as a back up.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast