Control four decks with two turntables, easy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Control four decks with two turntables, easy

Anyone use two turntables to control four decks in a DVS? I have an idea...

It might be fairly easy to install lightwire with midi-in under the platter to make them change collor, and use your dicers/X1 to "change" decks.

You could have two different colors so the left and right turntables could control decks A/C B/D just like a midi controller, but with real turntables. You could play normally on two blue turntables, press a button on the dicer or X1 and the platter turns red and you now have direct control of a third or fourth deck for scratching, samples, or another track. When the button is held down both decks are disengaged so you can replace the pitchfader in its original position.

The midi for displaying a shift state is pretty basic and all the shift button has to do is tell the DVS to swap the internal and external control for two decks, really simple stuff. Then just output this state to the el-wire under the platter. This would be soooooooo cool!!

In "relative" external playback mode the deck continues playing from the same pitch and location when switched to internal playback and resumes playback control from the CV imediatly upon switching back to external.

I was able to play a beat on deck C and manually pitch it UP %20 and swapped deck control to A. I then pitched deck A DOWN %20 and scratched. I then held the button and moved the pitchfader back to PLUS %20 and resumed manual control of deck C. I did all of this on ONE turntable.

the closest thing to doing this is the stanton scs-d1... it's a dual layer controller with a motorised pitch fader for switching between layers... It has the same high torque motor as the st-150 & st-120 and a ten inch platter... there is also a digital readout to tell you what deck is active...

stanton-sc-system-1-professional-dj-system.jpg

the problem with what you are suggesting is that you need to manually beatmatch the timecode, so wouldn't be possible on absolute mode... if you really wanted you could quartz lock the tables in relative mode and use the software to change the speed of playback wthout altering the platter speed... In saying that you could already do it in vdj...

map a button to switch the timecodes active deck
    left deck
    deck 1 timecode_active ? deck 3 timecode_active & deck 3 select : deck 1 timecode_active & deck 1 select

right deck
    deck 2 timecode_active ? deck 4 timecode_active & deck 4 select : deck 2 timecode_active & deck 2 select

if you make a led respond to midi you have the ability to easily map it in vdj... ideally you would have rgb led strips or the chameleon illuminator under the platter

G - B - R - Y
    3 - 1 - 2 - 4

- red led
    deck 2 timecode_active ? on : deck 4 timecode_active ? on : off

-blue led
    deck 1 timecode_active ? on : off

-green led
    deck 3 timecode_active ? on : deck 4 timecode_active ? on : off
    Last edited by synthet1c; 04-20-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: mistake with the led mapping.. I mean shut up I do what I wownt!
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Love this idea. What I would like, is a 4-deck DVS system with a toggle switch for Timecode control. 2 software toggle switches - 1 TT would control either Deck 1 or Deck 3, other TT would control either Deck 2 or Deck 4.

I've been meaning to check this out for a while, but never got round to it...

[EDIT: Coloured LED rings under the platter that correspond with the Deck it is controlling in the software is one of the coolest things I've ever heard...]
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    the closest thing to doing this is the stanton scs-d1...
    You didn't read my post. I actually DID this.

I did it in Traktor and it works flawlessly. The only thing missing is visual feedback for the "deck change" which I give the easy, and cheap, option of EL-light wire for. This should also work flawlessly for displaying two different deck "layers"

... I'm truly perplexed by you thinking this would need to be done in "absolute" mode. This obviously could not work in an "Absolute" mode. However, this does turn two average turntables into a scratch capable 12 inch motorized platter four deck midi controller with multicolored visual deck switching for about $100.

Also, switching decks and manually pitchmatching can be done easily with a digital pitch display (like a TTX) and with a dual strobe system (or LED indicator) for other types.

The EL-wire controllers I'm looking at are only $30-$50. So for around $100 you could get EL-wire for two turntables, and It is probably really easy to glue under the platter. So I'm saying that this already CAN BE DONE on the cheap and easy, Peace.
    Last edited by Phi; 04-20-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Tech Mentor

Last edited by Phi; 06-13-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Tech Mentor

Last edited by Phi; 06-13-2012 at 05:27 PM.

I like your style, Phi.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

And I think you just convinced me to finally buy TSP2...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Phi View Post
    That is exactly what I just did with Traktor using one button and one modifier. (per turntable) It is Easy. It works in the DVS, but I still need visual feedback on the turntables to remember which deck layer it is in. THIS is where the EL-wire comes in. Traktor can send midi out for the modifier state, and El-wire can be hooked up to a sequencer to drive it with a midi command. This is totally feasible right now.

*note: I have TTXs which give me a digital readout of the pitch. Switching between decks might become complicated if your TTs don't provide a digital pitch readout so that you know approximately where to "Reset" the pitchfader while switching between decks. I am currently looking into the option of having a dual strobe system synced with Traktor's "tempo fader" output, or separate program track the rotation speed of the platter and turn on an LED when the platter speed reaches a value corresponding to the midi-output of the "tempo fader" from tractor for the deck you are switching to, but that is a lot more hassle than just remembering that "Deck A is pitched down 3.7%" and replacing the fader in that position.

Step by step for Tractor:

Step One: Go into Audio preferences and set decks C and D to receive the same input as A and B. Now your CV controls decks A/C B/D.

Step Two: Set a global modifier to a button, have the modifier "direct" the value of itself from "0" to "1" on button "press" and set it to "direct" the value from "1" to "2" on the button "invert". Duplicate the controls and reverse the function so that modifier toggles between values "0" and "2" with a "hold state" at value "1"

Step Three: Set the same button to "direct" deck A to "Relative playback" if the modifier value is "0", "internal playback" if the modifier value is "1", and "internal playback" if the modifier value is "2".

Step Four: Set the same button to "direct" deck C to "Relative playback" if the modifier value is "2", "internal playback" if the modifier value is "1", and "internal playback" if the modifier value is "0".

Step Five: Duplicate steps One-Four for decks B/D

This is awesome. Thanks for the info I had no idea how to map this. I have a pair of SC3900's coming... was hoping there was a way to control 4 decks. When mixing I like to keep deck C as a 'scratch' deck while playing tracks on A + B; samples on D..

I will have to check this out when they arrive.

Tech Mentor

Yep, that's how I thought of this. It would be even better with colored deck switching (easy) and I am in the middle of getting this to work on technics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast