DJTT Editorial Staff Pick: The “New” Deep House (Just have to comment on this)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DJTT Editorial Staff Pick: The “New” Deep House (Just have to comment on this)

Place of origin, Berlin? Really? Let's stop and look at all the artists/labels who are and have been championing this sound for a sec.

The big obvious one is Crosstown Rebels, who are based in the UK (but label boss Damian Lazarus has moved to LA not that long ago).

Other notably labels,

No. 19 (Toronto I believe)
    Wolf+Lamb (Boston originally, but the guys live in Miami now)
    Culprit (LA)
    Hot Creations (Also LA)
    Leftroom Records (UK)

Now lets look at some of the artist who have been headlining this "movement" if you will.

Jamie Jones, who was the number one DJ last year according to RA but at the time you guys have never even heard of him, and now suddenly you're claiming the sound the sound that he had a major hand in developing and pushing as your staff pick? Originally from the UK, but now live in LA I believe.

Lee Foss, From Chicago
    Maceo Plex, originally from Miami but now lives in Spain
    Danny Daze, Miami
    Art Department, Toronto
    Soul Clap, Miami
    Tales of Us, Italy
    Seth Troxler, Detroit
    Matt Tolfrey, UK
    Laura Jones, UK

Berlin and Germany as a whole would be the last place I would pick as it's origin. Really a cross pollination between North American pop with UK Deep House aesthetic and sensibilities.

And then that Solomun remix you choose as the flag ship track? It's good, don't get me wrong, played it a bunch, but far from the "flagship" sound that is this new genre/movement.

Here's a BETTER example of what this sound is all about. It's about being deep, sexy and yet fun and funk still.

Now, I understand why you guys felt like you needed to add this in, but at least find some one who knows what they are talking about and actually follows it and isn't just jumping on the band wagon. Just stick to what you know, and if you want to comment on a subject you don't know much about then go to some one who does (there are plenty out there, just not many members on these boards it seems).

There's a reason I don't comment on electro or dubstep, because I don't know shit about or try to act like I do.

I've got nothing to really comment on the article/blog since I stopped reading the blog a long time ago along with pretty much all blogs for similar reasons (too much filler content for the sake of creating content).

However, I will add this track which I know has been around for ages but somehow just heard for the first time yesterday and it is blowing me away.

The track isn't that old, just came out last month I think

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    The track isn't that old, just came out last month I think
    Ah, apparently it has been in his and quite a few DJ's sets since early last summer

Got introduced to this sound when I was in Belgium! Night before I Love Techno and me and my girlfriend were over for the weekend, we were looking for somewhere to party and i resident advisored it and found this little rave in Brussels in an art gallery, not sure if it was entirely legal but the DJ's in the second room were spinning this sound, love it!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Funny, when you play the Maceo Plex tune you posted this quote from the blog makes much more sense than the Noir & Haze tune.

This newest iteration of deep house is marked by its slow tempo (115-120 BPM) and very sparse, but soulful arrangements.

Maybe it's because the Maceo Plex tune is 122 and not in the 115-120 BPM range the author wanted to stick everything in. Truthfully, though in this day and age can we really say a single country is responsible for a new movement, that imo is not really new at all? And for the record I like the Noir & Haze tune better.
    Last edited by photojojo; 04-20-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: comma
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Did you not see that they have Maceo listed as one of the "Notable Artists" as well? 122bpm can easily be pitched down to 120bpm and still have the same groove, if not better.

And I never said the track Solomun remix was bad, just that it's not the best example so put out there.

I'm sorry, that Noir & Haze track sounds like the old "Hockey Night in Canada" theme. The whole intro I'm thinking "wait, I know this". LOL
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

On Saturday nights, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    Place of origin, Berlin? Really?

Lee Foss, From Chicago
    Maceo Plex, originally from Miami but now lives in Spain
    Danny Daze, Miami
    Art Department, Toronto
    Soul Clap, Miami
    Tales of Us, Italy
    Seth Troxler, Detroit
    Matt Tolfrey, UK
    Laura Jones, UK

Berlin and Germany as a whole would be the last place I would pick as it's origin.

There's a reason I don't comment on electro or dubstep, because I don't know shit about or try to act like I do.
    Gorge
    Alessio Mereu
    Agoria
    Jamie Andersen & Owain K
    Mario & Vidis
    Livio & Robi
    Sacco & Passarani

To mention but a few more 'non-berliners'.
    356 reasons why

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast