Need comments on beatmatching/song selection!
    Tech Wizard

Default Need comments on beatmatching/song selection!

Hey all, I've been trying to practice my beatmatching lately and I think I'm starting to get a little better at it, I still can't do it fully blind (without knowing the BPM) but otherwise I've tried to focus just on the sound and do it. I'd really appreciate it if you would listen to this house mix of mine and letting me know what you think of my beatmatching and song selection and anything else about it!

Be as harsh and as nitpicky as you can because ultimately it will help make me better

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by bobalandi; 04-22-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Tech Wizard

Your ready for Ibiza this summer.
    Macbook 13"/ Traktor s2/Mixmeister/fruity loops..........Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars. And until you get the one you want, I hope you'll stay with the station of the stars(CASEY KASEM/KRLA).........http://bit.ly/JorTLg

Tech Wizard

I wish hahaha, any suggestions on how to make it better?

Tech Wizard

Check out mixed in key, so you can Harmonically mix the songs. It provides a blend in the keys so the do not crash. Practice Practice Practice....
    Macbook 13"/ Traktor s2/Mixmeister/fruity loops..........Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars. And until you get the one you want, I hope you'll stay with the station of the stars(CASEY KASEM/KRLA).........http://bit.ly/JorTLg

Tech Wizard

I tried to do some harmonic mixing in this mix can you let me know what you think of it? Does it sound any better?

I am probably the last person who should give critique, but some things I found. Here goes for the first track.

1. Don't over do the effects. At the beginning @1:43 way too much phaser or flanger pulse.
    2. @3:56 you could have left the 1st song "lingering" a bit in the background until "Dirty Talk" is sung the first time.
    3. @7:40 the mix was going good. This is my personal preference, but you could have mixed in to the section of the song @11:40 to get a better and more contrasting transition. Remember, you don't always have to mix the beginning of a song with the end of another.
    4. @13:53 almost a perfect transition and the kind I personally like. You could have echo frozen and faded the "paradise" out, so it goes into the other song with "dise, dise, dise, dise" for the 8 beats until the synth in the next song starts.
    5. @17:10 Major train wreck. This transition is a total "no go", unfortunately. Don't worry, I am still doing them too. hehehe...

That's it. I couldn't really hear a key issue except with the transition @17:10 where it really crashes. Other than that, not bad at all. Keep practicing.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

The next track. I think I have too much time on my hands.....

1. @4:18 nice transition. Well done, IMHO.
    2. @8:20 well, almost. How you brought in the vocals sounded off beat.
    3. @11:40 off beat again. The mix was a "WTF?" moment.
    4. @17:04 off beat once more.
    5. The transition starting @20:02 is really good, except, what happened @21:37? Not really serious, but noticeable as "strange".

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Wizard

Thanks so much for all the criticism, it's incredibly helpful. I really really really appreciate it