What would you buy? Controller or CDJ's and Mixer?
    Tech Mentor

Default What would you buy? Controller or CDJ's and Mixer?

Trying to get a feeling of what I really want.

Part of me loves the small package of a controller, but I would love to have CDJ's and a mixer so no matter where I go I can familiarize myself with the most common setup. This setup will most likely remain at home. I won't be lugging this around.

Feelings and thoughts? Really leaning towards the CDJ's but do you think controllers are making their place in the scene, are they becoming accepted?
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Go down to your local music shop and have a bash on both cdj's and a controller and see for yourself! It's all about what you want from your set up and you shouldn't care if controllers are accepted or not, however I use an s2 in my local club and its perfectly fine, although I do know some arseholes who can't get over it.

Tech Mentor

just worried about what the managers think. Its much easier to get gigs if you carry cd's than a controller.

I have heard numerous horror stories about labeling and discrimination with controllerists.
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Are you talking about all-in-one controllers, or more like the modern modular controllers that are coming out? That might make a difference in perception...

I like controllers...but I prefer the modular approach. I have a Kontrol X1 and a Xone:K2 and both sit nicely next to a mixer. I started with vinyl ages ago...but I prefer software and controllers...just more expressive for me. I have a set of turntables, but they are only for my personal enjoyment when I want to "mix old school". I will probably invest in a set of CDJs (maybe the Gemini 600 or 700s) just to have them in my arsenal, but I don't intend them to be a central focus for me.

It all depends on what you want to do though. I have Ableton and Traktor, and so I like playing around and enjoy the flexibility controllers give me. I tend to mix internally, so I don't really need a mixer either. I have one in case I want to switch my setup...but i don't really use it much.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Yeah, but to be frank if you sound good and your what their looking for, in my experience managers don't care as long as you make them money.

Tech Mentor

Well I am currently using Ableton and Traktor. Recently bought an APC40 and found it is really a nice controller. And the tempo control in Ableton is amazing in not changing the pitch of a song, I love that option.

But now I am wondering if I go controller, and take that with me, or buy CDJ's, leave them at home and use the house equipment. Decisions, decisions.

well you're gonna get a bunch of opinions both ways on here. I personally use a controller and turntables just because I dig the feel of new school with an old school touch. You could easily get a controller that works as a mixer and some CDJs and get the best of both things you are thinking about, just and idea though.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Mentor

How does say the VCI-400 work as an analogue mixer, does anyone have any experience with this?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

If they can't understand the controller you are using, they will probably respect you (true story)