Platinum Notes Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Platinum Notes Question

Hey guys so I just learned of Platinum Notes. It sounds like a sweet deal my main concern is that is remakes your files with the new sound, which is good. But if I load those new songs with the refined sound into Traktor won't I lose all the beatgrids from those songs?

Tech Wizard

Are you talking about beat grids that you have adjusted?

Mixed In Key + Platinum Notes = Sonic Bliss
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

One thing to note is that PN will need to reencode your files and IIRC it produces MP3's. Just to keep that in mind. I have bought MIK and I am very dissapointed with the product. But lots of people swear by it and one day it might even work for me.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Guru

yes i'm talking about the beatgrids i have adjusted

Ive always wondered this as whast the outcome of reencoding a 320kpbs mp3 into a 320kbps mp3? Do you not lose quality and ineffect it isnt a 320kbps mp3 anymore as its been reencoded.

This is also the case for fixing mp3s that drift in ableton ?

It would be pretty gutting to do all this fixing and tweaking to find when you go and play out on a big system your mp3s sound shite.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    Ive always wondered this as whast the outcome of reencoding a 320kpbs mp3 into a 320kbps mp3? Do you not lose quality and ineffect it isnt a 320kbps mp3 anymore as its been reencoded.

This is also the case for fixing mp3s that drift in ableton ?

It would be pretty gutting to do all this fixing and tweaking to find when you go and play out on a big system your mp3s sound shite.
    I've been wondering this too. I can only offer an educated guess that you do lose some quality by transcoding 320kbps -> 320kbps but with Platinum Notes making other sound quality improvements, the pro should outweigh the con. I've browsed a few audiophile sites before and many of them argue that 320kbps VBR is indistinguishable from 320kbps CBR. In fact they think people who insist that 320 sound better than 256 (for example) are just being plain ignorant and fooling themselves into thinking 'bigger is better'.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

I think PN makes a copy of the file as an uncompressed .wav and modifies that, so your original is as it was. i could be wrong tho i don't use it just MIK + soundforge
    Last edited by Jester; 05-13-2009 at 06:33 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

From the site, which also explains all the optimization steps in detail:
    "After processing, Platinum Notes creates new files. Your original files are never overwritten.

To write new files, we licensed the MP3 encoding patent directly from Fraunhofer Institute and Thomson Multimedia. Platinum Notes stores results in 320 Kbit MP3 or uncompressed WAV files."

I talked to a friend, who is a coder at a company that develops video codecs, and he said this process will obviously introduce artifacts (just like if you are transcoding from ogg to mp3). That being said, some people apparently run PN twice over their files to get "even better" results. However my friend is not so impressed with the entire concept of PN, but several people seem to be.

BTW: I assume PN only works with mp3 (maybe also wav).

Since they do not offer a trail to test, its kinda hard to know if the USD 98 are worth it. Due note that they are planning to release PN 3.0 soon. A few months ago they were talking about a May release, not sure if that is still relevant.
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Guru

Further talking this through with my friend. He thinks most of what PN does should probably also be doable with audacity. Since there is support for batch processing, one could probably set up a solution where one scripts the entire rip from CD as wav, process in audacity, export to mp3. Just food for thought if you are willing to get your hands "dirty" with some scripting and testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast