"Bad mixing day"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default "Bad mixing day"

Have you ever had these days when you feel like your mixes sounds like utter crap?

Today for instance, I had alot to do at work (working at an Apple Premium Reseller) and came home utterly exhausted. Too ease my mind a bit, I booted up my VCI-400 and played a couple of tracks, which lead to a total of 20-30 mins of mixing with tons of misstakes, missfired effects and moments I just made backspins and troll'd around with Jog FX and got utterly pissed off.

Maybe I'm too hard on myself and can't accept that there will be good or bad days (still), or the stress over my decision on which genre I mainly want to focus on, but I feel quite disappointed over myself for still not have near-perfect mixes / transitions after more than a years worth of DJ'ing. Am I missing out on something or is it common even among the pros here to have good or bad mixing days?
    VCI-400 EGE / Sennheiser HD-25-1 II / MF3D / iPad 2 running Lemur / Audio 6 DJ

Nobody is perfect. It's common.

Nobody can deny there are good and bad days. I found out that stress does not support my work and that I get better the later it is.
    It's also common that you get worse the longer you pause DJing.
    Plus: Professional DJs aren't perfect at all and there are lots of them playing a few tracks to get back into their work and try out if everything is adjusted correctly before they are on air.

P.S: On these "bad mixing days" it's a good idea to do the boring preparation stuff to be ready to play the next day!

If you don't have bad days, then you can't appreciate the good!
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yep, yesterday. Listened after and it wasn't as bad as it felt, but still not great.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Oh yea, some days I'm flawless other days I'm fucking up left and right. Its honestly all about momentum and how you control your mind. If you make one mistake and let it get to you, your mix will suck. If you get your momentum going shit feels easy.

How are you under pressure? Pressure helps me when it comes to DJing, nothing crosses my mind except what is immediately relevant.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Remember, every day can't be epic.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSiniSter View Post
    Pressure helps me when it comes to DJing, nothing crosses my mind except what is immediately relevant.
    This! Actually, because of this I've become extremely lazy in regards to recording promo mixes at home. I just can't build up the necessary pressure and always think my track selection is off at home.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    If you don't have bad days, then you can't appreciate the good!
    +1 for this

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Yep, yesterday. Listened after and it wasn't as bad as it felt, but still not great.
    Very important: Listening to my mix later I often realize that it wasn't as good or as bad as I thought when mixing. In the mixing process there are lots of minor musical details you don't notice and others that are unimportant but you notice. Sometimes it feels like having been epic just because you twisted a lot of knobs but in real the outcome is average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast