four deck Traktor controller suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default four deck Traktor controller suggestions?

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some ideas for a midi controller to invest in...

My current setup consists of:
    -laptop w/ TSPro & audio8
    -2x sl1200
    -DJM800
    -Novation Remote Zero SL

I'm staring to use the control vinyl less and less as time goes on, mostly cause my decks are ancient, and don't track as accurately as they should anymore.

The Zero is a great controller (other than the too stiff drumpads), but is showing some limitations. It's also big.

The DJM800 is not really useful as a midi controller. It is, however, a fantastic mixer, that I've got no intention of giving up.

So here's what I *don"t* need in a controller:
    -crossfader (never use it)
    -channel faders and EQs (Got the mixer)
    -Jog Wheels (Got the 1200s if I want DVS)

What I do want, is something that'll let me control four decks in Traktor. Ideally there should be 4 banks of controls, side by side (like on my mixer). These would be dedicated to the 4 channels in traktor, and would provide me with the ability to do loop/cue/beatgrid/fx/transport manipulation. There should also be a global section, that would let me manipulate things like BPM, views, etc...

The Xone 3D or 4D look like they come closest... except that I don't need a mixer or a sound card...

I'd like to avoid having to build my own.

Any suggestions?

Cheers (:

psylozen
    Last edited by psylozen; 05-13-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: solar flares

Tech Mentor

sounds like you need a custom build
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

How about an APC40 ?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Might want to think about using more "non-traditional" controllers, like Bento said with the APC40, or the Maschine, or drunk controllers. Combining with MIDI coding you could turn almost anything INTO almost anything.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

you could probably get a decent mapping out of the djm and the novation zero, so i would definitely give that a shot at first. another route could be 2 xone 1d's, throw em on the sides of your djm, and you have yourself one badass controller (it would be a very similar setup to the xone 4d)

Xone 1d's sound like the way to go to me
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    you could probably get a decent mapping out of the djm and the novation zero, so i would definitely give that a shot at first. another route could be 2 xone 1d's, throw em on the sides of your djm, and you have yourself one badass controller (it would be a very similar setup to the xone 4d)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    Xone 1d's sound like the way to go to me
    +1

I've got just one (but I'm using only 2 decks), it's a great controller for this kind of use...
    It's just what you want :
    Quote Originally Posted by psylozen
    The Xone 3D or 4D look like they come closest... except that I don't need a mixer or a sound card...
    the controler without mixer & soundcard

I dont know about Traktor Pro as I'm still waiting to update(...and i will), but with Traktor 3 I just use my Xone 1 D + plus the Behringer DDM 4000 and I have full control of the 4 decks.

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, the midi on the DJM800 is a complete waste. Sure, just about everything sends midi messages... problem is that I use those controls for their intended purposes. Could use the fader start buttons, but they don't send on/off messages, just the same message wether you're turning them on or off. Far as I know anyways... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fantastic Mixer, absolutely useless midi controller. What were you thinking Pioneer?

Having voiced my uneducated opinion (: ...Is there anybody out there who's using the djm800 as a midi controller as well as a mixer?

Tks for the input (:

psylozen.
    mixes at: http://soundcloud.com/psylozen

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain."

[QUOTE=psylozen;47938]Well, as far as I'm concerned, the midi on the DJM800 is a complete waste. Sure, just about everything sends midi messages... problem is that I use those controls for their intended purposes. Could use the fader start buttons, but they don't send on/off messages, just the same message wether you're turning them on or off. Far as I know anyways... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fantastic Mixer, absolutely useless midi controller. What were you thinking Pioneer?
    [QUOTE]

i was actually thinking more along the lines of using the djm800 strictly as an external mixer and not as a midi controller. i was actually not even aware that it could be used as midi. if i had this setup, i would get a decent 8output soundcard, use the djm800 as an external mixer for all your eqs and channel faders, then get a midi controller or combination of midi controllers for your transport, fxs, cue points, etc. you could get 2 korg nanos for 120 and have a very effective setup. you could get a midi keyboard. you could get 2 1d's. you could use your novation zero. you could use just the djm800 and your keyboard. the possibilities are endless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast