switch to Traktor? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Student

Well I love using VDJ and can pretty much use it without any issues. I'm into effects and I know that Traktor does have better effects. I pirated VDJ pro 7, so I can't download any of the other effects. And I know that a midi fighter can be mapped to virtual dj, but its not quite what it is for traktor when it comes to effects and layering them and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    No doubt you can! But I don't know if you can use VSTs in VDJ. But what you can do for sure is syncing VDJ with a host for your VSTs (like Ableton) and route your audio
    VDJ *is* a VST host - on pc's at least - so no need for any other app. not sure about mac tho.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    VDJ *is* a VST host - on pc's at least - so no need for any other app. not sure about mac tho.
    Alright! Seem to have been a misunderstanding

If you have a cracked version of vdj without all the updates and extra plugins then you dont have vdj...

granted all of the native effects are terrible and are from around version 2 when effects weren't important, but there are some fantastic plugins made by the community that you dont have access to without a registered version. And vst effects work natively however vsti's are touch and go, I haven't been able to find a demo of the traktor effects vst to try it out, if anyone has a link i'll give it a go....

THE EQ IN VDJ SUCKS! no doubt, but for now you can use vst's, I use "minimal system instruments - ultimate 3 band" which is much better than any internal eq I have heard, but another free alternative is "dj eq3"... for the future for version 8 we will have editable frequency on all three bands and hopefully curve control aswell. dj decks also had much better vst support allowing you to run glitch and stutter edit natively... in vdj you can use any of the sugarbytes plugins like turnado or artillery but the gui of the plugins don't refresh when you change a parameter, so you can only use presets made in a daw which is severely limiting.

Traktor is honestly a better program if you only wan't to make small modifications to the way you use it like simple mapping to change your (I hate this word) "workflow", but this is meant to be a community of tinkerers that like to see what they can do differently, in this respect vdj is far superior as anything that takes traktor middleware to achieve like midimasher or the firmware made by djtt, can be done natively in vdj... It accepts any input from midi or HID natively giving you the tools to incorperate in the program...

If you are good with graphics you can make your own skin to whatever specifcations you desire, so if you want bigger waveforms, no problem draw them and modify the skin xml in the current version... for version 8 looking at the teaser video it showed resizable dockable and lockable effects, if that functionality is extended to regular skin pannels the you have a toolset to design your own interface in pieces and move it around one or multiple screens at will to completely customise your "workflow"... that's like the one on crack.

If you are good at coding the sdk for video, audio and background tools for mac and pc is available once you register pro. so if you don't like the effects cool make new ones that run natively in the program, atomix even pay a contribution for the most popular downloads for the month as encouragement.

There is dmx light control support so you can sync lights to the beat and soon you will be able to trigger scenes from preset cuepoints you place in the tracks...This functionality is offered from two plugins one free one for a fee.

In relation to video effects i just found out last week you can use petewarden's video fx, they are free and absolutely amazing to look at and usually have more than 5 parameters to tweek the image, you can even layer them for some really crazy results. There is 3 worthy text to screen plugins one free and two for a fee.

the library is great, it's fast you can create virtual folders, playlists, you can modify, move, delete and add folders on your computer. you have itunes intigration, it reads serato crates. there is a plugin to batch write information to the id3tags. and you can code smart using any of the information in the database ike

bpmdiff<=5 and keydiff=0 and rating=5 and comment contains "peak" and firstseen>=1204281200 and firstseen<=1204281300

that will find you a track within 5 bpm of the master track, in the same, higher or lower camalot key, that you have rated 5 stars with a comment you typed saying "Peak" that had been added to the database today between 12:00pm and 1:00pm... why did I write an explination of something so easy to understand? that's my point everything in vdj is relatively easy to understand as a lot of thought has gone into making the more intermediate to advanced features more accessible so your not reliant on someone else to do for you... just learn the tools and you are on your way... I now nothing about computers, but I can make vdj do anything i can think of...

finally advanced mapping on traktor is a joke compared to vdj, and advanced mapping in vdj's is a joke compared to djdecks... enough said... vdj8 has amazing potential to intigrate all the best features from both programs and innovate new ones, and in the closed area of the vdj forum there is a lot of consideration about vdj8's functionality.

Also I forgot to add, you can chain effects on vdj already... it follows the activation order not the slot order like traktor... to test it activate a filter or crusher then an echo, by increasing the wet on the filter or crusher you cut the sound and get an echo trail... then do it the other way and you filterout the echoing track leaving no trail, if you have a cracked version get these free vst's "quadbyte filter", "dblue crusher "and "tal dub" to test...

And yes Native Instruments have lowered their prices but to me it seems like they want to expand their consumer user base and will introduce another upgrade every 6 or 12 months that you have to buy or get a bit of NI kit to use. seriously I make $200 for an hour of djing... $300 is nothing, and if you upgrade le like the mixtrack which is 70% of peoples introduction controller it's only $150 that you pay once and you can use anything you like to control it in the future.

shit that was long
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    granted all of the native effects are terrible and are from around version 2 when effects weren't important, but there are some fantastic plugins made by the community that you dont have access to without a registered version. And vst effects work natively however vsti's are touch and go, I haven't been able to find a demo of the traktor effects vst to try it out, if anyone has a link i'll give it a go....
    there's a demo link on their webpage - not sure what it can and can't do http://www.native-instruments.com/en...demo-versions/

THE EQ IN VDJ SUCKS! no doubt, but for now you can use vst's, I use "minimal system instruments - ultimate 3 band" which is much better than any internal eq I have heard, but another free alternative is "dj eq3"...
    any chance you've got the home page urls for those plugins? all i can find are dodgy looking file sharing links. haven't quite got as far as working out what eq plugin works best for me - but since i'm doing it in ableton i get more choice now anyway

the library is great, it's fast you can create virtual folders, playlists, you can modify, move, delete and add folders on your computer. you have itunes intigration, it reads serato crates. there is a plugin to batch write information to the id3tags. and you can code smart using any of the information in the database ike

bpmdiff<=5 and keydiff=0 and rating=5 and comment contains "peak" and firstseen>=1204281200 and firstseen<=1204281300
    this is cunning stuff - but u could just do that with an itunes smart playlist - and vdj has decent itunes integration anyway?

finally advanced mapping on traktor is a joke compared to vdj, and advanced mapping in vdj's is a joke compared to djdecks... enough said... vdj8 has amazing potential to intigrate all the best features from both programs and innovate new ones, and in the closed area of the vdj forum there is a lot of consideration about vdj8's functionality.
    indeed... simple mapping in traktor is fine - tho the gui sucks and can't understand why they won't sort that out - but anything getting complex can be a headache. it's usually possible, but makes you duplicate controls because someone else doesn't work once u try and add an extra layer with a modifier as you've now broken it.

i've been trying to find out about scripting in djdecks but their website isn't very helpful, only an overview? http://djdecks.be/index.php?module=d...lp=scripts.php. don't suppose you've got any examples or anything? if not i'll have a trawl thru their forum.

and an odd thing... djdecks is nothing to do with pcdj i guess? just that on their scripts doc page it says "To allow you to perform a number of actions at once, djDecks has a scripting system to perform multiple actions at once.
    Scripts can be started when djDecks starts, or by pressing a keyboard or midi button."
    and in a pcdj doc i found it says this "To allow you to perform a number of actions at once, PCDJ DEX has a scripting system to perform multiple actions at once. Scripts can be started when PCDJ DEX starts, or by binding them to midi or
    keyboard shortcuts."
    looks kind of similar to me

And yes Native Instruments have lowered their prices but to me it seems like they want to expand their consumer user base and will introduce another upgrade every 6 or 12 months that you have to buy or get a bit of NI kit to use. seriously I make $200 for an hour of djing... $300 is nothing, and if you upgrade le like the mixtrack which is 70% of peoples introduction controller it's only $150 that you pay once and you can use anything you like to control it in the future.

shit that was long
    indeed an agreed that if u can get it for 150usd then it's a decent price given u have free updates for live. buying it outright tho sucks. i'd rather pay less and pay for upgrades. only major traktor updates cost anything and it's been a while since traktor pro 2 came out.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

finally advanced mapping on traktor is a joke compared to vdj, and advanced mapping in vdj's is a joke compared to djdecks...
    veering steadily but surely off topic... i managed to find a few script snippets in the djdecks forum and looks interesting:

adding extra events on startup:

Code:
    addtrigger swapcue0 -1 string TrackInfo,,0 click ExecuteScript,swapcue.djscript 0
    addtrigger swapcue1 -1 string TrackInfo,,1 click ExecuteScript,swapcue.djscript 1
    swapcue.djscript called by the above when u use a cue:

Code:
    setabs Variable,other 1-%player%
    if Volume_Cue,,%player%<0.01 click Volume_Cue %player%
    if Volume_Cue,,%other%>0.01 click Volume_Cue %other%
    swap cue volumes automatically:

Code:
    keydown:
    if Volume_Cue,,0<0.01 if Volume_Cue,,1<0.01 click Volume_Cue 1
    if Volume_Cue,,0>0.01 if Volume_Cue,,1>0.01 click Volume_Cue 0
    click Volume_Cue 0
    click Volume_Cue 1
    seems like the same could be done in vdj's syntax if you could have multiple chains of commands linked to a control. atm there is *some* limit to the blah1 ? blah2 & blah3 : blah4 type syntax i guess (in vdj)

edit: looks like PCDJ and DjDecks use the exact same script syntax and just saw that they really are the same app i think... (tho maybe PCDJ DEX 2 is different...)
    Last edited by zestoi; 04-26-2012 at 08:53 AM.

nah can't give a link to MSI-U3B eq as they don't sell it anymore, probably due to all the warez copy's out there, but for what it does the bad karma's worth it lol... http://www.minimalsystem.com/index.html

the djeq plugin is made by David Ross, who doesn't have a website but this is a trusted source http://rekkerd.org/david-ross-vst-plug-ins/

I've only every found random things in the djdecks forums about the possibilities, but you will feel right at home as it looks the same as midi masher and just ended up hurting my head LOL... i just paid attention to the discriptions of what the code could do and asked a couple of former djdeck users what you could do with it

you can have start up scripts that are attached to skins or controllers for automating specific settings, eg a guy wanted to load a playlist of videos that automix, then have his logo for the club in the corner and have a predetermined scrolling text and change the video transition every song. This was so when no one that knows the system is around they just open the program and everything automatically happens...

if you want to do other things like record the activity or something like in the bridge that can be done but plugins must be made as every vdj script is performed when requested. but the other general plugins can run in the background doing anything you like done with c++... this i know nothing about though lol
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

nah can't give a link to MSI-U3B eq as they don't sell it anymore, probably due to all the warez copy's out there, but for what it does the bad karma's worth it lol... http://www.minimalsystem.com/index.html

the djeq plugin is made by David Ross, who doesn't have a website but this is a trusted source http://rekkerd.org/david-ross-vst-plug-ins/
    cool - i'll check them out and then do something very good somehow to get the good kharma back

I've only every found random things in the djdecks forums about the possibilities, but you will feel right at home as it looks the same as midi masher and just ended up hurting my head LOL...
    lol ofc what i am trying to do is come up with a new syntax for midimasher that *doesnt* make peoples head hurt so i think you've answered my question as far as whether i need to dig deeper into the dkdecks scripting or not i also found a skin called nightshade for djdecks that contains a bunch of scripts. main difference really with vdj, apart from the diff syntax, is that each action u want to map gets saved in it's own file - which makes editting them outside of the app easier - but would be nicer if they were all in one file.

you can have start up scripts that are attached to skins or controllers for automating specific settings, eg a guy wanted to load a playlist of videos that automix, then have his logo for the club in the corner and have a predetermined scrolling text and change the video transition every song. This was so when no one that knows the system is around they just open the program and everything automatically happens...
    yep - quite cool feature. i have that covered in midimasher with custom lua code - i'm trying to come up with something that lets people do 90% of that they want in a format/syntax 90% simpler than it is now

Where is VDJ at for Mac users? Seems I downloaded a demo a year or so ago and it couldn't do anything it was supposed to (or at least I couldn't figure it out if it could); are most of the capabilities described above available for Mac versions too or is VDJ pretty much a PC-only community at this point?
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Where is VDJ at for Mac users? Seems I downloaded a demo a year or so ago and it couldn't do anything it was supposed to (or at least I couldn't figure it out if it could); are most of the capabilities described above available for Mac versions too or is VDJ pretty much a PC-only community at this point?
    the only "demo" is the home version which doesn't support controllers http://www.virtualdj.com/out.html?cmac. what would be nice is a time limited full vdj pro version really...

afaik the mac version won't support vst's but does support plugins that have been compiled for the mac platform. not sure why there's not a "vst host" plugin if that's the case tho...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast