Auditions for residency? HOW, WHEN, WHERE. - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

(plus, you'll get a lot more repeat business if you're mates with the people who run the nights - and likely you'll be able to collaborate and run your own nights etc in future)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    yo, couple of interesting points raised in this thread!

i agree with everyone who's been saying they get their gigs from knowing people. One decent night out in the right place, fairly sober, and with the right people can get you a lot of doors opened in a city. (i got 2 more sets the other night from chatting to a guy in a smoking area who brought his mate over who ran a different night etc) - basically if you can prove you're legit and you know your stuff, you've broken the mould of the other 'djs' who ask for sets all the time, and they'll try you out.

i'd be really cautious if i were you about bigging yourself up too much. it's great that you've got loads of support on your soundcloud, but if there's nothing behind it, it doesnt really mean anything (i mean that in the best possible way)
    in terms of the scene i'm involved with in the UK at least (and i'm sure others will agree if they're familiar with the bass scene) the online presence is all about quality over quantity and understatement.

at all costs, you want to avoid coming across as the plonker who got their mate to do a photoshoot (vinyl in hand) with pair of headphones round their neck - whilst they write an extensive biography in the 3rd person about how they grew up listening to their parents motown collection - then throws it all up on their djname.com flash website with numerous links to their very low quality soundcloud.

much cooler be someone like jai paul (http://soundcloud.com/jaipaul) who has had three tracks out in total, 6000 followers on soundcloud, 525,000 listens to his latest track - and not a heart-warming biography or pretentious photograph in sight.

this could be looking a bit too far forward - but the point i'm trying to make is that in most cases in my experience, you'd be far better off getting to know your scene, the guys running it, get yourself to some afterparties and chill with the folks involved - then when they give you an hour set at one of their nights, suddenly wow their socks off with your mad dj skills which they never realised you had.

much more effective...

good luck!

(oh and, produce. it'll help not only with your rise to success but your appreciation of the music you play too)

Totally agree with that, a fancy Facebook page, pretty pic and online fans does not a good DJ make.

Maybe I'm generalising but I wonder if there is something about the well established underground, dance music scene across the UK which has many quality nights all quietly going about their business and have good turnouts week in week out.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234