Korg KM202...

Thread: Korg KM202...

Default Korg KM202...

Searched the forums and didn't see too much info on this particular mixer? Anyone know how it performs? Scratching?

Looking at it, the Kaoss Pad in the middle looks awesome IMO.
    http://soundcloud.com/kamcoolidge

VCI-400 EGE - Macbook Pro 13" - Traktor Pro 2 - Lots of Lights

Tech Wizard

I have the 402, which is the same but with two more channels. First the good:
    1. The EQ's are great. You never knew how much having different EQ options can help till you have them, and they do all sound different.
    2. Crossfader cut-in is good, and you can adjust your lag distance.
    3. Some of the FX are top-notch.
    4. Mixer is built for the most part to a very solid standard.
    5. Audio quality is quite good, very punchy.

Now the bad-
    1. Line faders are cheap. Very cheap. Lots of wobble.
    2. The EQ switch is global, and there is a bit of a click when switching. As such, you have to kind of pick ahead of time what you want to use.
    3. Some of the FX are kind of worthless.
    4. No balanced outs.

Overall, for the right price it is a good mixer, and mine still gets used with fair regularity.
    VCI400, 2x T120, Korg Km402, guts and glory

So, if I could get a KM-202 for $450, would it be a solid buy for a starting mixer? I have 2 Technics 1210MKII's.

Tech Wizard

Honestly, at that price there are better options. You could get an A&H Xone:22 and a Korg Mini KP and save $50, and get a better mixer overall.

I was thinking about that, a Xone:22 and a KP3 even, because the KM202 is actually $500.

I'll need a Traktor or Serato audio interface too, correct?

Tech Wizard

Correct. You will need one for DVS functionality. That said, you can get an Audio 6 package and run it into your VCI400 in analog mixer mode (when the firmware update comes out) and, minus the Kaoss Pad, get pretty much everything you need. I've been running my VCI400 with my Audio 8 as my interface (output and cue) and it is a really cool setup overall for when I need DVS.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDudeMan View Post
    Correct. You will need one for DVS functionality. That said, you can get an Audio 6 package and run it into your VCI400 in analog mixer mode (when the firmware update comes out) and, minus the Kaoss Pad, get pretty much everything you need. I've been running my VCI400 with my Audio 8 as my interface (output and cue) and it is a really cool setup overall for when I need DVS.
    Alright, so yea, I think I'm just going to sit on it and wait. I just took my Technics to get serviced (There from the 80's) and they won't be back for another 6 weeks, so I guess I'll just sit and hope the firmware update comes out by then

Tech Wizard

Yea, the new firmware was supposed to be out a few days ago but it is put off for a few more weeks. Should be out by the time you get your turntables back. Really it will be worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDudeMan View Post
    Yea, the new firmware was supposed to be out a few days ago but it is put off for a few more weeks. Should be out by the time you get your turntables back. Really it will be worth the wait.
    Last question, with the firmware update, I'll still need TSP2 and an Audio Interface, correct?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kamjongill View Post
    Last question, with the firmware update, I'll still need TSP2 and an Audio Interface, correct?
    If you want to use DVS with Traktor, then yes. Virtual DJ does work out of the box though with DVS, no extra interface needed. The important thing about mixer mode is that it lets you run your DVS box into the VCI400 and use it as your audio output and cue output.