a fractal define xl case
    i7 3820 overclocked to 4.8ghz
    3 120 gig ssd's 2 in raid 0 and one as an ssd cach
    1 3tb drive
    3 1280MB EVGA GTX 560 Ti Classified in 3 way sli
    Noctua NH-D14-2011 Dual Radiator Cooler with PWM fans
    1kw modular psu
    then just a blue ray drive

comes in just over 2k. I will use it for a bit of video production music production, some gaming. Also do pen testing so often run 4 or 5 virtual machines. Maybe its a little overkill so please help me justify to myself why I should build it

Tech Mentor

3 video cards seems way overkill, even for "some gaming".

Tech Guru

What the hell is pen testing

mate thats a monster of a machine, but if you cant justify it yourself why do it?
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Mentor

Pen testing = Penetration testing, think of it as white hat hacking.

Tech Mentor

Also, 3 SSDs seems like way overkill, even for pen testing. I think one would be enough, 2 is even hard to justify. Two 2TB HDDs might work better, one for audio production, the other for personal files. Thats just the route I would go. Also, id personally ditch the Noctura and go with a Corsair radiator instead. I dont know why you would need a dual radiator.

BEAST!

Thing is....how long till its outdated?
    Will you make $$ off of it?
    Will you be able to upgrade easily once there is newer hardware out there?
    Can you afford it?

Will you honestly use it to its potential? Or will it be more bragging rights?
    Seriously now...

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

I wanted people to persuade me to buy it the reason for the dual radiator is that I wanted to stay away from water cooling but have alot of overclocking headroom. It uses a brand new chipset and there will be ivy bridge processors coming out for it over the next few years it also supports pci-e3. 64 gig ram is maxing it out.

Do I need something powerful yes do I need soothing this powerful not really. There is stuff id like to do that this computer wouldn't be quick enough to do. However that would be research that I aint ready for yet tho. I would like it as bragging rights and supports 1600 monitors which id like 3 of then a 50inch tv mounted on another wall. I will make money off it but no more than 1k pc, yea got the money.

not sure about the gpu setup atm, not sure if id be better off with 2 higher speced cards rather than 3

Because you'd be a badass? I think it just saves you the trouble of requiring anything else in the future.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Seriously, with the list of stuff you'll be doing, yeah I guess you can justify it .. just depends how serious you are into each of the said tasks though, not much point in a high spec video machine if you're just editing tutorials for youtube.

The SSD's do seem overkill TBH as does the tri-sli and would probably go for a few 10k Raptors in Raid for regular storage and OS on a single larger SSD.

If you have the money - go for it, with the exception of the SSD's (which I think is unessesary) looks like a savage spec machine.

Only one last question: Will it play last ninja ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast