Tips for Opening DJs – Josh Wink, Hector Romero, Mike Huckaby, DJ Dan, Shiftee +
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Tips for Opening DJs – Josh Wink, Hector Romero, Mike Huckaby, DJ Dan, Shiftee +

http://blog.dubspot.com/tips-for-ope...j-dan-shiftee/

^^^

Found that a really good read, and something that more people really need to understand. At home, you can do whatever you want. But when it comes to the club, I see SO MANY DJ's just trying to bang it out as hard as they can all the time.

One of the nights I've frequented for years now is Elements (in Cambridge). It's a little Drum and Bass weekly that probably have some of the most talented resident opening DJ's I've ever seen. And it keeps me coming back again and again. Because it's not banger-banger-banger, they build up the night slowly and set the mood right for the headliner that they pull in. I mean, I also love me some DnB, but there is truly something to be said for having solid OPENERS as well as bringing it when the time is right.

And it almost feels like a lost art at times these days, except for a few unique spots that absolutely are treasures. A proper opening DJ is something that may not be the talk of the night, but sets the mood perfectly. It's a skill I'm working on myself, because it's such an important part of the nights I love to frequent. I could care less about hearing the same top 10 beatport tracks day in and day out as a listener, I love to hear someone building up a night proper for the people later on the bill.

I also feel it's a tragic loss from the availability of becoming a DJ these days. Not that I mind the technology, but there comes a point where I look at the kids who are just turning 18 and have hardly been to clubs at all, trying to make it as DJ's, and not throwing down the proper respect as openers. I'm not even spinning out yet and I see this, because I go to a LOT of shows as a promoter. Just something I've noticed myself.

What do you guys think?
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Completely agree... Having a flow to the night is key. Sadly, I don't see it thought about as much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Completely agree... Having a flow to the night is key. Sadly, I don't see it thought about as much anymore.
    true...the comment about being able to play for three hours is spot on...you control the whole night at that point...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

its funny you can tell people this stuff alllll day long, and at the end of the day they come back and never learn, until they aren't booked again.

I mean I had a kid playing Levels at like 10 o'clock to an empty room and people just left. Same with 11:30 another guy did it. I just shake my head and move on.

Tech Guru

So right about a room needing to be warmed up and guided to the point where the headliner wants to start. But you can see why some want to play their set how they want. They'll be worried they won't get noticed, won't get bigger opportunities otherwise. It might not be right but you can understand it to an extent.

I mean you can understand it to an extent, but it's one of those things that doesn't get overlooked by the promoters or other DJ's. Seriously.

No matter how much someone wants to just kill it with their set, if someone builds it up for the next DJ? Total fucking win all over the place right there. And it also builds the crowd up, instead of smashing them too early. It's a tough situation for getting yourself known, but it's also what I consider somewhat of a "minimalist" approach to it. Paying your dues proper if you will. If you can't do that, you don't deserve a headliner spot in the future, even on an off-night.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Funny how some people look at it, personally I'm on board with the opener setting the stage for the next DJ.

I remember there was a little discussion about it on twitter awhile back where Wolfgang Gartner talked about how he wholeheartedly supports openers going all out, saying how you'll never make it anywhere if you don't just go for it.

Yeah anyone can lay down bangers after bangers. Opening is an art that's being lost. i love a good warm up dj. opening is my favourite spot to play on a night.

I know this guy who is supposed to open a night and as soon as he gets about 3 people on the floor dancing suddenly it's "his time to shine! " Jesus poses and all. And from that the next dj's struggle to get things back on trak for the headline act.
    Last edited by zimfella; 05-03-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    http://blog.dubspot.com/tips-for-ope...j-dan-shiftee/

^^^

Found that a really good read, and something that more people really need to understand. At home, you can do whatever you want. But when it comes to the club, I see SO MANY DJ's just trying to bang it out as hard as they can all the time.

One of the nights I've frequented for years now is Elements (in Cambridge). It's a little Drum and Bass weekly that probably have some of the most talented resident opening DJ's I've ever seen. And it keeps me coming back again and again. Because it's not banger-banger-banger, they build up the night slowly and set the mood right for the headliner that they pull in. I mean, I also love me some DnB, but there is truly something to be said for having solid OPENERS as well as bringing it when the time is right.

And it almost feels like a lost art at times these days, except for a few unique spots that absolutely are treasures. A proper opening DJ is something that may not be the talk of the night, but sets the mood perfectly. It's a skill I'm working on myself, because it's such an important part of the nights I love to frequent. I could care less about hearing the same top 10 beatport tracks day in and day out as a listener, I love to hear someone building up a night proper for the people later on the bill.

I also feel it's a tragic loss from the availability of becoming a DJ these days. Not that I mind the technology, but there comes a point where I look at the kids who are just turning 18 and have hardly been to clubs at all, trying to make it as DJ's, and not throwing down the proper respect as openers. I'm not even spinning out yet and I see this, because I go to a LOT of shows as a promoter. Just something I've noticed myself.

What do you guys think?
    Well said, well said, couldn't agree more!
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Guru

There are a couple reasons why I think this is being ignored.

1) Instant gratification: unfortunately our society has turned into a bunch of crazies demanding everything now, now, now. This is why you'll see those who are inexperienced trying to bring the roof off before the limes are cut. I don't know about you guys but where i'm from, whether you get booked again is determined usually by the other DJ's in town. They likely will have heard something about you and usually be a trusted source on whether to book you or not. So stepping on that headliners toes doesn't get you far here. Again this comes from very short term thinking. An opener figures this is my one shot ever so I have to make it count. Play your cards right and you'll do fine.

2) Management: This is something I experienced recently and it could just be an isolated incident but bear with me. A new club opened in town recently and was going for pretty progressive music. I eventually got a spot opening for the headliner on saturdays (another local dj/friend). Whenever I opened I would just try create a feel good vibe so i'd play some classic hip hop, older top 40, some disco house knowing that he plays pretty hard bangers. And I would always get flack about the music and be told to play some uptempo music by management (basically wanting heavy electro). Bear in mind it's early people are all just getting warmed up/having a few drinks. Basically the message was to throw banger after banger at them from open till close. I know better, the management didn't.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast