beat matching on VCi 100
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default beat matching on VCi 100

Hi Guys,

I have more questions about vci 100 !

As i don't have the time to go and try out the vci 100 and vci 300 - i have a couple of questions that i am hoping someone can answer:

1. I want to beat match using the jog wheels as opposed to auto beat match - do you typically get the feel as if you were using say cdj jog wheel ?

2. I am ordering the fast track pro to go with the vci 100 black and am getting all for £470 - good or bad deal in your eyes ? i will only be using the equipment at home so im hoping that the fast track will be ample ?

3. Been offered vci 300 for £539 - i know its a good price but is it worth paying the extra for larger jog wheels but then loosing all the effects that come with Traktor ?

I know i have put a few threads up before but as i havent go the time to try these out first i rely on this site and think all you guys do a great job !

Look forward to hearing your comments

Cheers

Luke

Tech Mentor

1.With the vci100 if you are coming from vinyl it def does take some getting used to the jog wheels on the vci are def not as good as say a pioneer cdj but they still do the job and after a day or so playing around its easy to pick up the feel actually the pitch bend on the side of the jogs is pretty good

The pitch faders I have no problem with the resolution is not as good as a 300 but again I find them workable ( mind you I have a few years under my belt using messed up techs with dodgy uncalibrated faders so I have a habit of riding the pitch fader ) I can mix fine with my Vci100 no sync

You can have dif options with sync btw you can either have it just quickly match the tempo of each track then keep the track matched yourself or have it on all the time alot of people get mixed up with that. The quick match is actually very helpful when cueing up a track as it saves time.

2, Not a bad deal at all I have seen the vci black going for £440

3. 69 Squid difference ummmm.!! it all depends on how much you need effects TBH remember Itch will have effects soon

I think I remember you saying you use SSL well with itch all your crates ect will transfer over easy no probs and set up is simple plus mix control will be better with the 300 .

With a 100 you will have to get Traktor as well so rem thats an extra £80 upgrade to Traktor pro from le so actually its £550 for a 100 + sound card +. Traktor upgrade .

Traktor can be complicated esp with midi mapping stuff so have you tried the demo ?? better make sure you like the program as the work flow is dif than ssl

sorry I am waffling on had no sleep last night lol Its up to you at the end of the day go with your gut feeling

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Heres my view after 2 weeks with the VCI (which means its a noobs view).

1. No the jog wheels are a whole new thing to get used to. Yes they act similar in that the outter ring adjusts the fine pitch so technically you do the same thing as cdjs to beat match but they are WAY more sensitive on the actual wheel if you your riding the pitch and pushing the top plate. CDJs make it very easy to get a shitty mix in time by riding the pitch and turning the top plate like a record, not so easy on the VCI jog wheel. Get your mix in right and the fine adjustment is easy though.
    But yes you will get used to them and then they are a lot of fun

2. The Fast Track will do just fine for your use. They sound good and they got midi in/out which i like. They do seem to be bundled with the VCI in a lot of UK stores at a decent price.
    Fast Tracks are £130 which means your paying £ 340 for the VCI which is ok especially as they have rocketed up in price in some stores. Get FREE postage on that for defo, dont pay shipping on £470 ask them to chuck in a laptop stand as well, try blag the fuckers, you may score some free shit.

Personally if your not into Timecode and you dont need and Audio 8 id try get a VCI on its own and get a FireWire Card like the Presonus Firebox . It will whack the cost up but its fucking awesome and one less USB unit to worry about (that a personal thought). If your on a budget get the bundle.

3. The 300 is expensive. The lack of Knobs/rotarys is mind boglgling. If it had a few more knobs for effects it would be awesome as its buttons are laid out way better than the 100 (although the mapping is terrible) , theres enough buttons that can be remapped just no knobs unless you use modifiers and use the EQ knobs for FX which would only confuse the fuck out of me.
    You may have seen the new Add On unit for FX... What a fucking joke. where would it go, its clearly a statement that they fucked up leaving the FX knobs off for Serato people who dont know how to use FX (hahaha joke).

Get The VCI 100. You will love it and learn on it and they hold a good resale price. Ive seen em go on eBay for £320 . So you can update to the VCI 300
    eventually if feel the need.

Hope that helps.

R2D2 is right. I forgot about the software.
    If your used to Serato then you will have to buy and get used to Traktor with the VCi 100.

Get the Demo and see if you like that first.

@R2D2, I use the Sync function in exactly the same way. Assign as hold and press once to align the tracks. Im not a Sync snob i dont care if people use it all the time i just prefer to have it on only whilst i press the button.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 05-16-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Tech Mentor

R2, Karlos

Thanks for comments guys.

I am now not sure which way to go !

You say that i will have to buy Traktor if i get the vci 100 ? I thoguht it came with Traktor LE ? or do i have to get the upgrade ?

Also i will be running it on a G5 imac powerpc ! will a Traktor upgrade work as i know that Traktor pro doesnt work on the G5!

For the sake of £70 is the 300 a better option ?????

Obviously i will be losing the effects but at least i wont have to buy an upgrade as you get a full version of itch with the 300!

I am confused.com !!! lol

Tech Mentor

I am buying one of these 2 next week so any replies from anyone would be great !!

i value everyone opinions as i am new to full digital djing ( SSL is the only thing used previously)

Cheers and thank to each and everyone of you that replies

Luke

Yeah you should get Traktor LE with the VCI 100 which is fine. You can still find Traktor 3 at some shops but you can no longer upgrade to Traktor 3 from NI as its discontinued.
    You already know that Pro isnt compatible with PPC Macs.

Id like to comment on Itch but i cant. Id love it if there was a proper Demo version of Itch but you only get one deck so its useless.

How much are you going to rely on FX ?

Maybe you could get the 300 and a cheap controller for the FX like a Korg Nano Kontrol.

Tech Mentor

Well im not going to rely effects that much but i do like the option of having them there as thats what i have been used to with djm 400 that i just sold!

i have looked into buying the pioneer efx 500 as it goes on ebay for about £130 second hand which is pretty good !

I have just been messing about with the Traktor dem, but had to download it to my pc laptop which sucks as i am mac through and through!

maybe i could just spend some money on a new mac book pro as that would solve the traktor pro issue!

but i must say i do like the layout of the traktor however, being used to serato i do miss having the deck image on the screen!

i just need someone to say go for this or go for that !

i have the money for either and the last thing i want to do is buy one and regret it ( i am sure that wouldnt be the case ) and the main reason i wanted to sell off my techs is because i wanted a new challenge with mixing and using good old vinyl just doesnt do it for me anymore.

My best mate went over to cdj's a couple of years back and i have thought about that route but i find mixing on them too easy!

Yeah mate these decisions are not to be taken lightly.

Does Itch have the 'deck image' like SSL. Traktor has the same thing but only with Timecode.

A Macbook Pro would indeed solve ALL your issues. I have one and id never use anything else.

Tech Mentor

i got to make a decision as i have been thinking bout which to go for now for the last couple of weeks!

will Traktor LE be ample whilst i still have my G5?

it does seem like value for money def goes in the vci 100 direction, and like i mentioned earlier i want a challenge and getting used to the jog wheels is part and parcel of it!

So Karlos, in your opinion 100 or 300 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast